Durable Finish For Wooden Doors In The Tropics

Hi,
Can someone suggest a durable finish for wooden doors in a tropical environment?
The doors of our house in Costa Rica cannot keep a finish for more than few months. The original owner said they "mahogany" and originally "varnished" (I quote because I am not 100% sure she was correct). When the varnish refused to stay they sanded it off an put on an oil based stain. They were newly oiled last October and by June much of the oil was gone. I might or might not find out what they are using.
There are a total of 29 custom made exterior doors (really. The house was built to be completed opened up - possible in a climate where many of the restaurants don't have walls.) Replacing that many doors would be impractical.
Thanks, Gary

Teak ???

Boat varnish ? Spar.
Greg

I would also insure they are dry when painted, like oven dried.
Greg
Abby wrote:

The thing that eats finishes is UV...the sun. If something gets sun through much of the day you will be lucky to get six months from a clear finish.
I had a sailboat in Hawaii for many years. The main mast carried a yard...a horizontal spar. Varnish on the top of the yard would be gone in six months; the bottom of the yard was good for a couple of years.
If you want a shiny finish about the best you can do is an alkyd varnish - not spar - with an UV inhibitor. If you don't want shiny, tung or plain old boiled linseed oil will work for a few months. In either case, they will have to be maintained; in the case of oil, another coat applied at regular intervals; in the case of varnish, sanding lightly and recoating at the *first* signs of deterioration (dulling). Fortunately, you live somewhere where laborers are plantiful and inexpensive.
If you want a finish that will last longer without maintenance, paint - not stain - will.
--

dadiOH
On 9/15/2012 2:24 PM, Abby wrote:

29 doors on one freaking house? I'd try awnings.

It's funny .... you begin with no idea and when others make suggestions, you criticize them.