Dupont flooring 30 year warranty that is really only good for 6 months

You've got to read this. Dupont is selling laminate flooring exclusively thru Home Depot. It comes with a 30 year WEAR warranty but if there is a manufacturing defect and that isn't discovered and reported within 6 months of purchase you get zilch.

They must pay their lawyers extra to dream up this.

Reply to
Art

The average consumer sees '30 yr. warranty' and assumes it's a good product. Unfortunately, the manufacturer words the small print to get them out of any further responsibility. First and foremost, they'll expect 'professional installation' yet they stack their products to the ceiling in a 'Do--It-Yourself' warehouse. They know who is buying and installing this stuff. Disregard the WEAR warranty and look for the best warranty on workmanship. Reward quality.

Reply to
CyBrShRk

I'd think that most manufacturing defects would show up during hte installation. Overall, it does not seem to be a bad deal on the Wear portion.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wear throuh is 30 years. If you pen the box and see defects they will replace- or just bring back to HD.

Reply to
bigjim

Your sentence is ambiguous. For what do you get zilch? The defect or its wearing out?

It says: *Manufacturing: In addition to the our Original Limited 30 year residential warranty, We warrants our product against manufacturing defects that exist in its product prior to purchase by the consumer. Any manufacturing defect must be reported prior to the product installation or, under any circumstance, no later than six (6) months after the date of purchase in order to be covered under this warranty. We will replace any such defective material at no additional cost to the customer. Any damage that might occur during shipment is the responsibility of the shipping company. Note the second and third word. "In addition". So the 30 year warranty is unaffected by this paragraph.

So, there is no problem, right?

Reply to
mm

You've got to be kidding. I've heard plenty of laminate manufacturing defect problems that show up years after installation. Glue between layers failing, crumbing particle board, etc. In that case you get zilch unless it shows up during the first 6 months of ownership. I've read many, many laminate warranties. I have never run into anything like this. So if the factory tries a new cheaper process they only have to make sure it holds up

6 months under this warranty.
Reply to
Art

That was not my point. You ridiculed the WEAR warranty. You put wear in all caps. Then you brought up the defects warranty that is only for 6 months as if that weakened the wear warranty. Your sentence was at best ambiguous. The defect warranty is "in addition" to the wear, or the WEAR warranty.

If you don't like the defects warrranty, complain about that without making it seem there is something wrong with the wear warranty.

You may have made a good point on the defects warranty, but you ruined your point by tying it to the wear warranty, which IS 30 years.

Here we can often post back and forth, but in many cases , you only get one chance to make your point.

Reply to
mm

Everyone else got the point but you.

Reply to
Art

You need to re-read the fine print. There are two warranties. One that covers defective material that will not be covered after 6 months if you decide to install it anyway, and one that lasts for 30 years if no defects have been detected by Dupont in the first 6 months.

Reply to
tnom

By my reading, if there is a hidden defect that takes longer than 6 months to show up you are screwed. Not all defects are visible out of the box. A new glue used in manufacturing could take years to fail. If it is deemed a manufacturing defect you have no warranty for that type of defect beyond 6 months making the 30 year wear warranty useless.

Reply to
Art

I don't expect the whole story, just some honesty instead of misleading tripe.

I read the newspaper is some detail.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would invite you to read Mannington and Shaw laminate warranties. They guarantee their product for a certain length of time. and don't cut off the warranty because the product turns out defective years later. Of course you are not supposed to install obviously defective laminate that is obviously defective out of the box. That makes sense. But there is no out for them that says... hey, the laminate is defective and because it is 6 years old you get zilch.

Reply to
Art