duplicating phone and ring voltage

Page 2 of 2
Try the Viking Electronics model DLE200 telephone line simulator box. It's only about 5" by 2 " with phone jacks on it. It only cost around $100 about 12 years ago.
I used to have a hand cranked generator from an old phone. This puts out exactly what you need. Think they are still available through gov surplus as field telephones.

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:59:09 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net"

We had these in that 7th grade class I mentioned, but I don't think they lend them out (and may not have them 46 years later :) and I live in another city) But I'll look in surplus sources. OTOH, this will slow down some my prospective 15 seconds per code, that I need to finish in about 2 hours. Thanks.

Thanks a lot to you and beachcomber. It is just what I need, and the price now ranges from 145 to 114, for the very same thing, online, plus shipping. It's small to -- oh, yeah, you said that -- and although that is a lot of money to fix these two things, it may have uses in the future. OTOH, I have the specs now to do this myself, so we'll see.

Try ebay & search for crank phone or something similar.

Since you need to find the 3 digit code for message retrieval it is not simply a matter of generating the correct ring signal. The ring signal needs to be received and tripped so that a normal line connection is established with correct DC potentials etc. Only then can you send the DTMF signals to the fax to determine the 3 digit code. For this you will need an analog phone line simulator similar to http://www.teltone.com/products/simulators/tls3/home.htm
Unfortunately these aren't cheap (US495 for the TLS3).
AN Australian device which will do the trick is shown here http://www.mgram.com.au/pdf/pds22001.pdf and sells for around USD271 plus postage.
In the UK you can buy a kit to build one http://www.hotspot.freeserve.co.uk/HOTSPOT/TLS/tlsframe.htm?lsdiag which will be a lot cheaper than the Teltone.
Ross Herbert wrote:

Hi...
I'd be willing to bet that if the OP would disassemble the machine he'd find the code on a label somewhere inside it.
Take care.
Ken

Wow. Over my limit, I think.

Still a lot.

They might ship. I'll check. Thanks a lot.

Sounds reasonable. I had my old machine apart twice, and my friend's wife's machine apart once, to change the tape mechanism drive belts, and I don't think I saw the number for either, but I'll look harder this time. I think I might have seen both sides of the mechanism, but maybe not since I didn't want to un"plug" the microphone from the top half of the case, and there were speaker wires too and maybe button wires.. Thanks.
It made it a lot easier to ask about my friend's machine, since I had fixed it once, and she used it for a few years after that. I don't think she bought her replacement. IIRC it was included with a new job she had.

Hey everyone!
About the cheapest way to generate a ring-voltage problem...
I've seen several "call directors", a box that picks up a ringing line, listens, determines if it's an incoming fax or modem, then sends the signal to the corresponding RJ-11 jack where the actual device is plugged in.
Wouldn't one of these have to generate a ring voltage to get the fax or modem to go off-hook?
Anyone have a schematic for one of these? It might be a rather simple thing to modify one of these for the OP's purpose.
Comments?
Stan.
Stan wrote:

Digitally there is distinct ring service from Telco. Corresponding device responds when phone rings. Even single line can have different multitple numbers, etc. Talk to Telco rep. and express your service needs.
Of all the advice I;ve see so far, the one that makes the most sense was the person questioning why you need to know the old remote access code to change it. The ones that I've had were set on the base unit and you could do it without knowing the old code.
No way in hell I'd spend hours rigging crap to try to salvage a 20 year old answering machine when you can buy a new one for $20