Duplicate Census Forms

Page 1 of 3

Any one else get multiple forms mailed to your home?
I received two advanced notices on the same day that the form was coming in the mail. Okay, I figure a waist of postage.
Then I get two exact forms in the mail. The same exact forms, not a short one and a long one. Different bar codes on each envelope.
I spoke to the postal delivery person and she said that she asked the same question at her office. Clues, beside the obvious?
-- "Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."
Oren wrote:

Bad programming at the big census server farm in the sky. (well, in Jeffersonville, IN, just north of Louisville...) When you are slicing and dicing data from multiple sources, like they did to build the address database, you are supposed to scrub it for dupes. In your case, the algorithm apparently did not recognize it as a dupe. Any differences at all in the structures of the printed names, street names, addresses, or zip suffix?
Same basic explanation as to why you sometimes get duplicate junk mail from the same mailing house.
--
aem sends...

Could be a Census mistake, or for some reason they may believe there may be an apartment or other dwelling at the same address. Use one form if you have a singles domicile at your address.

They will be sending census takers out to all the homes that doesn't send their forms back. Just fill out one form and see if they show up at your house later to check on why the other was not filled out.
Or you might want to fill out one form and send both back with a note of explanation that you were sent two.
David

Lucky you. Fill them both out and you'll get two representatives in Congress.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:24:26 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I was thinking the same thing, actually. Might as well double-up and get my monies worth? For what that is worth in dollars?
If I don't complete both forms they may want to put me in jail ...
On 3/20/2010 11:40 PM, Oren wrote:

Probably fill both with same info and send in. If you only do one you'll probably get a visit for the other and if you try to contact them about them sending you 2 forms it will probably cost you a lot of time as you get drawn into the bureaucratic morass.
wrote

commit mail fraud? not a good idea.

the envelope has a barcode on it that the gov't uses to track it's progress thru the postal system,so that if it gets lost,another is sent out;
evidently,the USPS lost it,then after a new form was on it's way,found the first one and delivered it. Typical USPS.
(and some want the same gov't to run healthcare....)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Oren wrote:

NO jail. But maybe a little work for a temp worker. Send them both back in on envelope with a note.
I got one today. It asks for my S/S number ????? The COPS now have it.
Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair
On 3/20/2010 11:30 PM, Jerry - OHIO wrote:

BS http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/about-the-form.php
Frank wrote:

Mebbe he got a fake from somebody trying to do a mass ID theft. Wonder what the return address on the envelope was? The local cops would be clueless as to what to do about it. But if he wasn't BS'ing, and actually did get a fake form, I'm sure Census Bureau and Postal Inspectors would love to see it.
--
aem sends...

They didn't use to do that. But I think they found it increases the percentage of returns, and saves them from sending people in person.

No better guesses than others.
You should fill out one form, and mark the other one, Second form sant to same address, and send both back together.
They'll only put half of you in jail if you don't return one form.

That sounds painful.
Anyone know what's legally permitted to ask? I remember from school that the goal is to count the people, so they can move the congressional districts around and properly represent the people. Other than the number of people living at the residence, what other informatiin is legally required?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

there are only 10 questions this year. There is no long form. I probably have the form in my mail downstairs, but I haven't looked at Friday's mail yet.
There is an ongoing survey, the name of which I forget, that ask loads of questions, that goes to 1 or 2 percent of homes, something like that, which they use for lots of worthwhile reasons like planning for future needed govt. services. There isn't much that is not permitted to ask. You don't have to answer any but the 10 questions on the actual census form, I think.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That can get into a long argument into what is Constitutional vs. what is legal. The nosy nannies think they need to know and control everything. For our own good, of course.

all that is Constitutionally authorized is a body count.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Technically the only thing that is Constitutionally REQUIRED is a body count. There is no language forbidding anything else.
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
Kurt Ullman wrote: