Duplex Gas Lines

I bought a duplex several years ago and converted it into a single residence (actually office and residence - my commute time is measured in seconds).
I'm considering having the gas disconnected on one side and running everything through one meter - this will save about $150/year in charges from the gas company (there's a base charge of $12.50/month even if you use no gas).
The easiest way to accomplish this is to tap into the gas line feeding each furnace (in the attic). In other words, tapping into the line feeding the furnace on the metered side to supply the pipes on the un-metered side. The way I see it, we're talking two additional valves and maybe 40' of pipe.
Any random observations you'd care to make? Thanks.
JerryMouse wrote:

Aren't the 2 meters right next to each other? If so, it would be simpler to make the connection there. I wonder if the utility would even assist in making the transition. Did I miss something?
Jim
Speedy Jim wrote:

Ah, sorry. No. The meters are on opposite sides of the building - about 50' apart (as the mole tunnels under the slab. Maybe 100' travelling around the perimeter.

Is the pipe size/length capable of handling the load of both furnaces?? Greg
Greg O wrote:

I would think so, for the following reasons: 1. The building was designed for two gas furnaces, two water heaters, and two gas ranges. 2. It has only one electric range (plus the water heaters and furnaces). 3. Only one of the furnaces would be running at a time (usually).
If you meant the proposed pipe addition, I'd match whatever's there - I think the whole house is gas-piped with 3/4" iron pipe.

I meant the proposed additional pipe, not what is there. It is very likely that extending the gas pipe may cause problems. Extra length or extra load on a pipe run may cause the gas pressure to be too low to operate the furnaces properly. This could simply cause the furnaces not to operate, or worse yet cause a malfuction that could cause damage to the equipment, then possibly fill your home with carbon monixide. You need to make sure the pipe sizes are large enough to run both furnaces at a time! I highly recomend you find someone to look over your situation and make sure the pipe sizes are adaquate for the load. Screwing this up could cost you you house or worse yet, your life! Greg
Is the gas meter capacity sufficient to supply both furnaces (it may be unless the duplex is unusually large or heat lossy or the furnaces are badly oversized -- the last th emost likely of the three)? You may need the gas co to install the next larger size meter -- but they'll be there to take their second meter anyway. The 40' of pipe will need to be sized large enough for th eload too, but that should go w/o saying and shouldn't be a big deal.
Conversly, if the duplex is fully rented and the tenant(s) are responsable for heat etc. then they pay the $12.50, vs, you paying their $6.25/month share and passing it on to them in the rent (along w/ your cost for gas for their heat. i.e. the rent for a heated apt will be more than for 'unheated'.

With out a calculation is it hard to say. Gas is based on load and size of pipe. I fed my furnace with a one inch, with a 1/2 drop the last 3 feet. Per the manufactures installation instructions. Probably would work up till the time you sell it. Then you would not be able to list it as a duplex. You would have to remove the piping and reinstate the second meter to be a duplex.
Probably need at least a one inch between the furnaces, maybe even a 1.25 or 1.5 inch pipe. That way you would have the volume available.
send me an email message with the total length of piping to the furthest unit, the btu load of each appliance and the size of the piping there and I will do a pipe sizing for you and tell you what you need to know
"Post the size of your current piping, the total amount of the btu's for all appliances as well as an individual size breakdown and the longest length from the meter to the furthest appliance and I will do a pipe sizing for you

Umm..you need a bit more than that.