Dumb question

Usually there is a rubber grommet that holds the top to the bottom - and a clip holding the grommet in place. Remove the clip and then force the rubber grommet open and the bottom will drop off.

JimL

Reply to
JimL

We are having new countertops installed so I removed our old countertops in the kitchen,along with the sink as we are getting a new sink also. The garbage disposal is attached to the old sink which is on our patio. Duh....how do I get the old garbage disposal off of the old sink so that I can reinstall it on the new sink? It has 3 screws around it that appear to do nothing more than level it. It seems like its probably easy to remove it, but by just looking at it, I can't tell how.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

yeah, but be ready to catch the unit they can be kinda heavy and dropping one on your foot HURTS!

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

Now Marty, the only dumb question is the one that is never asked. ANd since PJM never asks any questions, he is the dumbest man alive.

However, on to your question:

Loosen the 3 screws a bit, and twist the disposal. SHould come right off.

And don't worry, you arn't going to break anything, so even if you end up taking out every screw and smashing the old sink with a sledge - the old disposal will still be good to go for your new sink.

Reply to
Matt Morgan

Chances are it's made by Insinkerator and will have a revolving lock ring below the three screws and above the motor. Rotating that will unlock the disposal from the bottom of the bracket with the three screws. Then removing the three screws will unclamp the bracket and sink flange from the sink. You might want to buy a new sink flange to go with the new sink. Insinkerator makes , I believe, almost 80 percent of all disposals including Sears' Kenmore. If you can't find the allen type tool that came with it, you can buy one at Sears and use it to revolve the lock ring to remove it. Tom

Reply to
Tom

You know, if that is not a really new disposal or at least a top quality one, now would be a good time to upgrade to a new quiet running model. You know that two weeks from now the old one will die. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That was my first thought as well, a new , good quality disposal is fairly inexpensive. I am planning on replacing counters/sink/disposer as well. The new disposer I looked at is under $200 bucks and is whisper quiet. The one I have now is 15 years old and sound like a wood chipper!

Les

Reply to
Gina and Les Armstrong

"Gina and Les Armstrong" wrote in news:4Cx4e.6778$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

If your disposal is anything like mine and you still want to keep it, then you can get it off by turning the large brass ring above the motor. This ring is about 4 inches in diameter. More than likely, you will need to use a hammer and screwdriver to turn it, but that is probably the way it is held on. (Turn the ring counter clockwise).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Solly