Dumb freezer question

We need to remove an old 195? chest freezer from the basement of a house. Heavy sucker. The basement was finished some time after the freezer was in place. Big freezer, small doors. So, I need to cut the freezer up to get it out of there.
So the question is, can I use my recipricating saw with a metal blade ? How tough will this be ? Yes, the freezer is unplugged.
Thanks
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
How about disassembling it instead of cutting it up.

Good idea. I must be starting to think like the homeowners did at that house.
This is the infamous wiring from hell house.;
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner

to do it legally, you'd have to get someone to come in to drain the freon. after that, cut away. most everything is pretty thin stuff except for the compressor itself.

Freon has long since leaked out.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
Somehow, that didn't surprise me.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

This is Turtle.
It should be able to be cut up pretty easily but use a good Bi-Metal cutting blade and don't use a wood or hack saw blade in it. The Bi-Metal cutting blade cuts ruff but fast. The Small tooth blades will take too long to cut it up. Now when you start cutting it up. look out for a small amount of oil which maybe in the freon lines in the walls of the box. Have it where if some leaks it will not mess up anything. Now keep the compressor up right most of the time if you can for there is about 8 to 20 ounces of oil in the compressor to leak out if you turn it up side down and cut the lines. I would unbolt or disconnect the mounting bracket to remove the compressor first to take the compressor out to keep the oil from getting everywhere. Haul it out first and then you can turn it anyway you want to chop it up. It should take about 30 minutes to a hour to chop it up with a recept saw and about 2 good blades.
Happy Chopping here.
TURTLE

Thanks Turtle. I'm actually looking forward to cutting this thing apart. Good way to take out my frustrations and anger.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
That requires a hammer.
Sawzall requires hearing protection, and eye protection. Them sawz can be quite noisy. And throw metal chips all over.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A hammer sounds like a fine idea. Real fine. Got a nice sledge that would do it.
Thanks for the reminder on the eye protection. Forgot to put the goggles in the truck but will do that in a few minutes.
I figure I can just stick some of the dust bunnies in my ears for sound protection. Lots of dust bunnies there.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
Legally speaking, you need to call a refrigeration guy to come and take the freon out.
Having said that, look for bolts, screws, etc. I did help take a freezer apart, one time. It came apart somewhat in pieces. Lot of fiberglass, and there was a lot of aluminum to go to the scrap yard.
Sawzall does great.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

This is Turtle.
Stormy if you read above in the next thread above here he said the freon had long been gone.
Stormy When have you ever found a bolt together or screwed together hual on a chest type freezer. If it was a up right like your thinking , it could come apart some by unbolting it but you still have the outter hual to deal with.
Stormy if you could even unbolt the freezer apart it would be 2 to 3 hours to unbolt it and with a sabre saw it would take about 10 minutes.
TURTLE

This is Turtle.
I just thought about something to check for before you chop it up. This is a long shot here but check to see on the info tag on the freezer to see that it does not contain SO4 as the freon used in it. Somehere around the 50's or so they used SO4 in them and this stuff is deadly if you let it out in the room your in. You can tell by the tubing lines will be made out of stailess steel and this will be one of them. Really do check for SO4 in the freon section on the name tag to see.
TURTLE

I sure will check. I'm thinking of doing this saturday while I'm at the house doing some other "stuff".
Thanks again.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner

Maybe this type of freon caused stupidity ? Lots of stupidity in that house. I may have to write a book about this estate when we are finished with it.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner

This is Turtle.
During World war 2 some of the Germans used H2SO4 or SO4 as a vapor to kill troops and when they were hit with it the fellow would have brain damage afterwards. It may have been leaking and they was exposed to it over the years. A little dosage everday may have done the trick.
TURTLE