Dumb dryer question

We all have plenty to say about what you do with dryer exhaust.
What about intake air?
Why not pull it from the attic?
Where I live you could probably run the dryer on "air fluff" and dry stuff vitrtually free 9 months of the year. You probaly need another blower and a filter wiould probably be nice.
Upside?
Downside?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Brilliant! Think of the possibilities, we could even use the air from the attic for our personal intake (I'll get to the exhaust in a moment), so we wouldn't steal precious oxygen from the lower part of the house and would have abundance of O2 for the rest of the family and a fireplace.
In a bathroom as well as in any other room we would alway breathe in fresh air, without any odor or contamination from any exhaust.
I am humbled by your intellectual greatness. You, my friend are a genius and I tip my hat to you!
N O T !!!!!
exhaust.

fluff" and dry

probably be nice.

Hot air to start with. Less heating cost.

Dryer not designed for inlet connection. Dryer not designed for hot air input - would it regulate heat OK? You'd probably want to filter the air. Attics don't tend to be the cleanest place in the world.
Not a bad idea.
Bob
will cost more or less to dry the clothes depending on the season and temperature and humidity difference. gas dryer not notmally installed in an unvented attic, no makeup combustion air, more likely to set your cellulose insulation on fire. you may want to consider the cost difference in your usage and utility costs for the AIR DRY cycle. the room's relative humidity and temperature in your climate may make evaluation a must with a kill-a-watt meter or similar usage measuring device. see link under $30 http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/388_254
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't think it is a bad idea, but until dryers come with inlets for air, I doubt if it is going to be popular. I don't know how much of an advantage it would end up being, but overall it would likely save a little. BTW I do agree there are a few problems to be addressed but nothing that could not be done.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Other instances of outside air supply: some fireplaces, some furnaces. Value: Not using tempered air; not disrupting pressure balance for tempered air distribution. Cost: Hole in building envelope allowing untempered air into the tempered air; backdraft similar to kitchen hood.
TB
Other instances of outside air supply: some fireplaces, some furnaces. Value: Not using tempered air; not disrupting pressure balance for tempered air distribution. Cost: Hole in building envelope allowing untempered air into the tempered air; backdraft similar to kitchen hood.
TB
Many many years ago my grandmother had a fancy device for utilizing the hot air in her walk-up attic to dry clothes. I think the technical term for it was "Clothes Line".

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:05:57 -0500, "John Grabowski"

That is the right idea but with a 3:12 attic you could only hang Barbie clothes
The reason I am considering this is the attic cruises at 130 f and the house is air conditioned. By using the house air I am paying to cool it down, then paying to heat it back up again at the same time that getting unused hot air out of the attic is a problem.

hot
it
I understand what you are trying to accomplish and it is a good idea to make use of the hot air. However to retrofit an existing structure may be more costly than the savings gain as well as being unattractive. You should look into solar houses and structures like that which are designed from the ground up to utilize the natural forces for heating and cooling.
Having spent many days in hot attics on wiring jobs I can tell you from experience that the only thing that I have seen that brings a residential attic down to a decent temperature is a whole house fan. The homeowners who have them love them. On hot days when there is low humidity they turn on the whole house fan, open the windows and the house is quite comfortable. Those roof mounted mushroom fans help somewhat to bring the temperature down, but the attic is still hot.
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:41:54 -0500, "John Grabowski"

I have 2 but they don't run when the A/C is on The thermostat controlled attic fan runs most of the time for 6 months and all day for 4 more. Hot air is not a problem in southwest Florida. I am thinking about using it for heating the pool and I already get a big part of my domestic hot water for free from the attic.
Our garage on So. Calif coast was 10 above adjacent concrete slab and during reroofing job I had a turbine installed, less than $25.00 no motor. Now garage is 10 cooler than slab. No problems in about 10 years so far.
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:17:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What is the wind speed rating of that turbine? I have had 100+ winds here 3 times in the last 16 months. (Charlie Frances & Wilma)