ductless air conditioner

Been looking on the internet and found ductless air conditioner topics. This sounds interesting. First, does anyone have one? Second, can it be used for mulitple rooms? For example, a unit in the living room, perhaps two bedrooms and attic bedroom. This seems to be better than window air conditioners. Thanks for any info that you can give.
These units are window units with the compressor and condenser packaged in a remote unit just like a split system. The fan is quieter than a window unit. The only way several interior units could work on a single outdoor unit would be to have a variable frequency drive. It would be more common for each unit to have its own exterior unit.
We just added two 3 ton units to overcome heat load in a computer situation - separate electric, separate splits, etc.

Being that I have never seen one, let me ask you some questions: First off, is a single outdoor unit similiar to a central air conditioner unit? Also, give me an idea of what a variable frequency drive is and operates. The reason why I am asking about this is..I live in Cleveland, Ohio. In the house that we live, we have what they call Cleveland Drops for vents. So if I decided for central air for the furnance I would need new duct work and unfortunately the way the basement is designed, it would cost a good amount of money just for that. So I am looking for alternatives..not including window air conditioners. Also, just for a ballpark figure, what is the price of a ductless air conditioner, including install. Thanks