ducted ceiling fan?

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
I've got some rental houses that cater mostly to less-well-to-do folks. They tend to be rather hard in the wear-n-tear department. They are positively murder on ceiling fans.
What I think would work would be a "ducted" 52 in ceiling fan. Perhaps "ducted" is not the right term. What I envision is the blades enclosed in a 6 inch steel band around the sides -- along with a metal blade guard on the bottom. The idea is to keep items from contacting the blades.
I've seen a very small version of this in Lowes, but I've had no luck in finding something bigger. Does anyone make something like this??
Thanks!

Google "caged ceiling fan."
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:52:03 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

This looks perfect but I can't find the brand name. Apparently others are looking for one like it too. Anyone?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/where-to-find-a-caged-ceiling-fan-good- questions-189140
On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:20:19 +0000 (UTC), Sam

I would think any good HVAC company could whip something out for you before lunch.
--
croy

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:01:57 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

fans.aspx

I had some 56" industrial fans just like those in my coin laundry. Seriously sweet machines. They did work great but people were not getting in contact with the blades.
In the rentals, people are coming in contact with the blades (all too often) and they can't be rebalanced afterward. That's why I really need some blade guards...
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:41:16 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

I'm never witnessed the fan death dance so I can't say what is happening. I only deal with the aftermath.
Sometimes these fans are shaking so bad, you think they are coming down.

Perhaps yer buying crappy ceiling fans. My ex-landlord --actually, a great landlord!-- always bought the cheapest components from HD. Wall heaters, garbage disposals, etc. I asked him once why he never bought better quality stuff for his rental props. He said it's cheaper in the long run to buy the cheapest stuff and replace it. (shrug)
nb
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 16:06:12 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

I can sure get behind that.
In general, product quality has fallen so far in the last 30 years that making comparisons is difficult. I can buy "economy" products today that will not perform their intended function right out the box. Products of "luxury" class today are equal to what was ordinary quality 30 years ago.

I've lived here for 7 yrs, use the ceiling fan constantly, and have never once touched the blades, 'ceptin' to vacuum the dust off. WTF are they doing? slicing bread??
nb
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 19:04:39 +0000, notbob wrote:

Dealing with section 8 types, you never quite know what they are up to. I don't know how they are contacting the blades but it has to be a pretty good impact judging from the damage.
The very poor people are frequently extremely destructive to everything in their environment. Paint, miniblinds, doors, sheetrock .... you name it.
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 17:46:48 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

I would never, under any circumstances, rental a furnished house. Way wrong class of people.
Another problem with the section 8 class folks is that they will not turn on the gas to the heaters (requires a deposit with the city) and they will simply leave the kitchen stove running and keep the stove door open. Needless to say, the typical household grade stove completely self- destructs really fast.
On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 00:59:44 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Yes; regular 220V household quality.
On 7/9/2015 3:04 PM, notbob wrote:

I knew a twenty some thing white boy who used to throw bags of potato chips into the ceiling fan to ammuse him self.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:28:54 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

I can certainly relate to that.
You know you're dealing with the bottom 2% when they steal the plumbing, the wiring and put camouflaged holes in the walls to hide their stash.
I have one white couple in a rental, early twenties, and the wife's teeth are all rotten. Most of them are merely stumps. One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.
What has happened to humanity? Sheesh.
On 07/09/2015 09:20 AM, Sam wrote:

What do they do? Throw empty Colt 45 cans at the fan for amusement? Or do they get all literal with TSHTF?

What about a bladeless fan? https://exhalefans.com/index.php
Expensive at $475 each.
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:09:06 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

Wow. Thanks Don!
$475 is not expensive if it really works and is durable. I'm going to see if I can find reviews this afternoon.
I spend several hours yesterday seeking solutions. I ended up thinking I was going to buy some large, floor-model drum fans (3 or 4 feet diameter) and mount them on the ceiling. But this bladeless model looks like a real solution if it pans out.
On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 01:03:13 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Y'know .... I've had really poor people walk up to a new screen door and poke holes in the fiberglass screen with a glowing cigarette. Lol, I can just imagine in my mind what you are saying.
I might just try mounting a large drum fan on the ceiling (modified, painted and trimmed) and use a fan controller for speed control. Everything from a quiet woosh to hurricane Katrina in your living room.

What about just not having any ceiling fans? The tenants can buy their own small table fans like this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Turbo-Force-Air-Circulator-Fan-HT-900-WMT/16503230
if that want one.
On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:07:37 -0500, CRNG wrote:

HT-900-WMT/16503230

Excellent idea. A lot of people have followed that path.
I dunno tho ..... I try to provide live-able places. I would not rent anything I would not live in. I'm just "bent" over the poor quality of products that can't take abuse ..... it's not like manufacturers don't know what's happening.....