Duct tape on HVAC ducts

OK, I realized that some idiot used regular old duct tape to install an entire flexible heat ducting on my house. Needless to say, these "joints" hace crumbled and fallen apart over time. I'd like to have this all replaced (removing the duct tape) done right, probably by a contractor or by myself.
My questions are:
1) How can I do it myself? 2) Would a contractor even do a small job like this? 3) What tape can I use to hold these flexible ducts to the ridgid steel sections?
Thanks!
--
JaKe, Seattle
"If you can read this thank a teacher.

They are still using duct tape on joints today. I prefer the metal tape lasts longer in the heat for me. Cleaning the joints before applying would not hurt.
The inside part is held by an large ty-wrap the out side by the duct tape.
There is metal adhesive tape made specifically for ductwork. Use rivets or sheet metal screws to hold the pieces together, and the metallic tape to seal the seams.

there should be a giant hose clamp or tie wrap holding the duct on. The tape was just there to stop any small air leaks. Foil tape should work fin just clean up any loose old tape. You can also get duct sealant that is like mastic that you brush on.
http://mp.apogee.net/res/rehdmat.asp
A 10.5 oz tube is less than 5 bucks
http://amconservationgroup.com/catalog.aspx?pid74&catid $6&pgid"2
Wayne