Duct relocation.

I'm looking to finish our basement. I've got a lot of issues with Ducting and plumbing, but my head scratchers are with the forced air ducts. I've been blessed with a sunken living room which gives me very little room to move things around. The sunken room gives me only 6'2" which in some areas I bet I couldn't get permits to finish but i digress...

I do have a 'hallway' type area. Without cutting structural beams the clearance in this area is greater at 7'2". Issue here is that the air ducting is taking 10" of that area plus the space in between the duct and the floor beams. This brings the ducking to the same high of the sunken living room of 6'2".

Any ideas on how I could reroute the piping?

Can I change that Ducting of 10"(H) x 20"(W) to a 6.25" x 32" rectangle and still get the same CFM? This could give me enough reasonable head space.

Also, can the duct be closer to the wood? the gap is sagnificant but I would'nt want to compermise safety.

Reply to
cln

ask a HVAC contractor, but have you considered digging down the floor, adding ingress egress and calling the space a bedroom for better resale value?

Reply to
hallerb

Do not retrieve the _Telstra_ message .It has a file attached.

Telstra! You are a real idiot. What is your GPS, so I can slap you?

-- Oren

Oren

What he might do is go to a sheet metal company and ask them. They can send out someone who could give him a bid to do the work or give him a bid for the metal only and allow him to do the work.

Reply to
Moe Jones

You don't have a basement, you have an oversized utility crawlspace. I doubt you'd get a permit anywhere to finish it for livable space.

Changing the ducts from one configuration to another will result in some loss due to the transition pieces but you'd need someone that does that type of work to give numbers to see if it will matter.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski