Duct For A Gas Dryer ?

Hello:
Bought a metal foil duct roll at Home Depot to replace the duct from a 30 year old gas clothes dryer installation.
Seemed to be the standard type of AL foil metal duct for this purpose that Home Depot sells, but frankly didn't look all that carefully to see if there were others.
A plumber who is also a gas fitter was in the house the other day for something else, and said that this was not a good item to use. Too thin, etc.
But, he had no real suggestion as to brand; he like rigid metal ductwork for the purpose.
What's the "best" and safest type of duct that I should buy ? Is it available at HD ?
Thanks, Bob
If it is corrugated not smooth it will trap lint, the plumber is probably right

Do you mean the flexible kind? If so, a rigid aluminum duct is better. Any home supply house should have it.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That's what I thought also. I recently put down new vinyl under my dryer and washer and decide to use rigid aluminum duct to replace the old corrugated vinyl tubing.
Surprise, neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had solid aluminum duct for dryers. They did have the corrugated aluminum (flexible)duct. They also had an aluminum elbow so I bought that and use an old (but never used) piece of corrugated vinyl tubing to connect the elbow to the outside vent. Would have been much easier to use a solid aluminum duct since I only needed a 12" piece.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Don't look for it as a dryer accessory, go the the heating department. You will find it there.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Robert11 wrote:

Hi,
Solid metal is best. This should be available at most ( all? ) home improvement stores....comes in straight sections and seperate elbows.
http://www.applianceaid.com/vent-length.html Some venting tips.
Home Depot and Lowes sell the non foil type too. Plastic and foil are bad news. The non foil looks similar to the foil but is much better.

I used the metal foil, because there's no access behind the dryer and I had no choice; and it was an absolute PITA. I think I tore the first one and had to start over.
Since then, I think I've seen sturdier stuff. I've also seen some that is partly rigid and partly flexible.
--
Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Honestly the heat from a gas dryer and from an electric aren't that far off. Where you are really looking at potential problems comes when you get build up in the ducts. If they were to catch fire, the fire would probably burn up the thin stuff and not the rigid metal. I say keep the flimsy stuff, but check you ducts to make sure they are clean and the air can freely move out. As long as you keep them clean and clean out the flint catch in the dryer unit every time you use it, your fine.
Scot Lilly snipped-for-privacy@pratamortgage.com www.pratamortgage.com