Duct and dust

Apparently I must have a hole in the duct work leading to my sons room. Within a month, his walls and furniture are so dusty, you can write your name in it. This only happens in his room and the main intake filter isn't that dirty when I change it each month. I went up in the attic and can't see any holes, but I don't think it would take a really big hole. Is there an easier way than disconnecting the duct work and shining a flashlight inside of it? My heat pump is in the attic and there is not a lot of room to maneuver.
Thanks

isn't
there
IMO, before you go through all that, try purchasing the register filters (a few bucks) and see if that helps in his room. If it does, then you may have an issue with your duct work. If it does not help, then it may be because he spends alot of time in there, etc.

can't
room
(a
have
he
You need to be careful of register filters. They add additional static pressure in the ductwork. This can lead to premature problems with your HVAC system.
Umm, I should have added that I bought a big filter and cut it up to make a register filter and it is FILTHY! I change it every week but feel like I should do it every other day, but since it is in the ceiling, I need to unscrew it and I am lazy :-) He does have a computer and TV in there, but so does my daughter. I have NEVER seen dust on walls like this. It looks like a house that has been unoccupied for years!!11

can't
room
(a
have
he

room.
your
flashlight
because
Hi UnFriendly, hope you are having a nice day
On 04-Dec-03 At About 03:08:07, UnFriendly Fire wrote to All Subject: Re: Duct and dust
UF> IMO, before you go through all that, try purchasing the register UF> filters (a few bucks) and see if that helps in his room. If it does, UF> then you may have an issue with your duct work. If it does not help, UF> then it may be because he spends alot of time in there, etc.
This is not recommended as these restrict air flow and can cause system damage. the duct system is only designed for one filter in the return and no more.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.
The Data Rat wrote:

i have the same problems: the rooms with more electronic stuff in them, like the Tv, computers, stereo, etc. will have more dust in them thant the other rooms.. ask the experts: the people who clean up for a living, i asked one of the ladies who works at a cleaning service that does our building(big office building, she been doing it for alot of years, says she does three jobs, one at the school board, one for this cleaning service and one for another govt. agency part time.. she told me that you have to dust every day and keep at it.. i remember as a kid that the dusting seemed like a weekly or monthly job, but i did not do it my mother did, i guess we never had as much stuff to dust back then?? now everything that we have is electronic in one way or the other and it is like a dust magnet(look at your TV screen).....
I would look to other problems. A hole in the duct will only allow air to come out of the duct when in use since it is under pressure, dust is not going to be sucked in. While there are possible situations that could cause the problem, I doubt if it is the duct work. The idea to try register filters is not a bad one and will resolve that issue. I suspect there is some other cause.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

As others have said a pressurized duct system can't suck in dust. The dust must have another source. Is your sons room by a furnace that uses inside the house air for combustion? If so is this configuration can cause a negative pressure that can draw flu soot back into the house.
What KIND of dust? Is it dust dust, black dust, insulation dust, soot dust, old-house dust, etc.? To know how it gets there, it could be helpful to know what it is. And does it show more on the ceiling around the register? Is there an air return IN the room in addition to the register? Does the son have his window open (or closed) as compared to the rest of the house? It is interesting that cracks in corners, walls, or ceilings may be a source of "old-house" dust due to the sucking in of air when a gas furnace runs. We had a room that did that, but the blackish "dust" was mostly near the crack, and in our town there used to be a lot of coal fired heating with the black crude left behind inside walls and in/on insulation. --Phil
The Data Rat wrote:

The Data Rat wrote:

I think a lot of dust comes from cotton fibers - maybe there's simply more sources in this room?
Michael