Dubai - Towering Inferno due to dangerous flammable siding

Dubai hotel fire: Inferno at 63-storey Address Downtown hotel near New Year's Eve fireworks display.

How is a flammable product like this ever allowed to be used in construction? Particularly on a 1106 ft tall building, when firefighters cant get above 100 ft. They're lucky the whole building did not collapse.

Problem Described in article.

Good photos here:

Paintedcow

We often complain about government intervention and big brother tactics, but we do have better building codes. Anything used in construction here must comply with fire codes. Sounds like they are far behind over there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But what started the fire? It started on a terrace, New Years Eve. Arab grilling camel? Someone fooling around with fireworks?

Reply to
trader_4

The only thing that will get them to remove the flammable materials and improve their fire safety is money. Until their revenues drop because of lost bookings they will do nothing. "They" may be the hotel owners or maybe "they" are the local politicians. Either way, the driving force is money.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'm wondering if the building didn't have a fire sprinkler system to put out the flames??

Reply to
Muggles

Dubai has more money than brains. They have limited, codes, rules and laws in all areas. It is the most polluted region in the world. I would never visit that place.

Reply to
Meanie

Not needed. The fire was only on the exterior. Still you are not current.

Reply to
burfordTjustice

The A-rab talks big, but you can't expect a bunch of ignorant peons to understand these things the way that our boys do.

Reply to
Roger Blake

The Dubai hotel was burning for 20 hours - and its steel did not "melt" and it didn't "collapse".

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Apparently they banned the product on buildings over 100 feet in 2013

- well after the Address was built?

Reply to
clare

The sprinkler system is internal only and did prevent the fire from destroying the interior structure of the hotel.

Reply to
clare

Which appears to be because the interior sprinkler system stopped the spread of the fire into the interior of the building. Otherwise we may have seen something similar to the collapse of the World Trade Center on

9/11. One of the WTC buildings that collapsed was taller than this Dubai building. A quick google search show the tallest WTC building at 1362 ft. This Dubai building is 1106 ft.

Personally, I have never seen why they make buildings that tall anyhow? If not a fire or explosion, an earthquake will eventually bring them down, and how many people will die, and other buildings destroyed in the process.

I wonder how much damage was done to the steel structure? Can they repair it, or must it be demolished now?

Reply to
Paintedcow

Really? Here's a hint:

It starts with an M.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

For a cow, only one word starts with a "M"

MOOOOOOOOOO

Reply to
Paintedcow

What's your address?

Address.

That's right. What is it?

Address.

Yes, what is it?

ADDRESS.

YES, WHAT IS YOUR ADDRESS?

What?

Second base!

Reply to
Micky

Painted Cow, there's more to life than cows!

Reply to
Micky

You must mean BULLS !!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Someone posted a link to story. Looks like the fire was external. Real shame. But some what predictable when sheathing is combustible.

Some of the survivors report that was a lot frightening. I can believe that. Easily believe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sprinker systems come with a couple myths, this gives me a moment to adress.

1) Myth: If we have a little fire in one room, the sprinklers will flood the whole building. We are better off to just let the FD put it out. Truth: Each sprinkler head has its own fusible element. Only puts water where it's hot. The fusible element is typically 165 degrees F.

2) Myth: Sprinklers (since they require a person to close the main valve to turn them off) do more damage than a fire hose which has a person at the nozzle. Truth: Even the most professional department only arrives at the fire after they are called. This can be employee, night watchman or alarm system. But there is always a delay after the fire starts, and when the FD drives to the scene, connects to the hydrant, stretches hose. In this time, the fire spreads and causes more damage. Which requires more water to be used. Sprinklers operate early, and actually do less damage. They can also be wired into the building alarm, so the FD and building owners can be called.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're correct with the proviso that it's _MOST_, but not all, systems designed that way.

check "deluge sprinklers"...

Reply to
danny burstein