Dubai - Towering Inferno due to dangerous flammable siding

Page 1 of 3
Dubai hotel fire: Inferno at 63-storey Address Downtown hotel near New Year's Eve fireworks display.
How is a flammable product like this ever allowed to be used in construction? Particularly on a 1106 ft tall building, when firefighters cant get above 100 ft. They're lucky the whole building did not collapse.
Problem Described in article. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/12076792/Dubai-skyscraper-fire-new-years-eve-2015-live.html
Good photos here: http://www.startribune.com/gallery-fire-at-63-story-luxury-hotel-in-dubai/363945441/
On 1/3/2016 9:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

We often complain about government intervention and big brother tactics, but we do have better building codes. Anything used in construction here must comply with fire codes. Sounds like they are far behind over there.
On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 9:45:47 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But what started the fire? It started on a terrace, New Years Eve. Arab grilling camel? Someone fooling around with fireworks?

- well after the Address was built?
On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 17:51:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What's your address?
Address.
That's right. What is it?
Address.
Yes, what is it?
ADDRESS.
YES, WHAT IS YOUR ADDRESS?
What?
Second base!
On 1/3/2016 9:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

codes seem to be a joke. There was 16 gauge Romex running on the inside surface of the closet. It almost looked like bell wire. I assume it was fused at 7 amps, but who knows. It was used to light a fluorescent lamp inside the closet turned on by a switch activated by the sliding closet door. There were other thing, but this stood out. Also, I was watching them build a high rise next door. The workers where in tee shirts, open shoes and no hard hats.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

They have changed their codes and these materials are not allowed as of 2014.
--
Tekkie

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 08:15:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

The only thing that will get them to remove the flammable materials and improve their fire safety is money. Until their revenues drop because of lost bookings they will do nothing. "They" may be the hotel owners or maybe "they" are the local politicians. Either way, the driving force is money.
On 1/3/2016 12:38 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I'm wondering if the building didn't have a fire sprinkler system to put out the flames??
--
Maggie

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 13:22:56 -0600

Not needed. The fire was only on the exterior. Still you are not current.

destroying the interior structure of the hotel.
On 1/3/2016 5:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sprinker systems come with a couple myths, this gives me a moment to adress.
1) Myth: If we have a little fire in one room, the sprinklers will flood the whole building. We are better off to just let the FD put it out. Truth: Each sprinkler head has its own fusible element. Only puts water where it's hot. The fusible element is typically 165 degrees F.
2) Myth: Sprinklers (since they require a person to close the main valve to turn them off) do more damage than a fire hose which has a person at the nozzle. Truth: Even the most professional department only arrives at the fire after they are called. This can be employee, night watchman or alarm system. But there is always a delay after the fire starts, and when the FD drives to the scene, connects to the hydrant, stretches hose. In this time, the fire spreads and causes more damage. Which requires more water to be used. Sprinklers operate early, and actually do less damage. They can also be wired into the building alarm, so the FD and building owners can be called.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You're correct with the proviso that it's _MOST_, but not all, systems designed that way.
check "deluge sprinklers"...
On 1/4/2016 8:03 AM, danny burstein wrote:

That, and also Parmalee Perforated pipe.
Fortunately, not many deluge systems. And then at places where they are needed.
On 1/3/2016 4:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

OK Did they find out how the fire started?
--
Maggie

This will probably be under investigation for weeks if not longer. By the time they determine the cause, it's considered "old news", so it's not published. The media like the "spectacular", in other words the things that catch people's attention. Maybe the media in that country is different, but if they are like the U.S. news, they rarely followup on things.
It's like there was a local fire around here months ago. The home owner was badly burned and was in critical condition. The news said the cause of the fire was under investigation. There was never any followup story. Although I did not know the person, I knew a neighbor. A few months after the fire, I spoke to that neighbor, who said the owner was doing well, but the fire was still under investigation. I could not believe it was STILL under investigation. These investigators go into these buildings shortly after the fire, and should have their reports completed within a few days. I think they just dont want to release their findings. But it was good to know the owner was doing well, even though no one else in town knows it, because there was no followup in the media.
Personally, I agree with another poster in this thread, that the fire was caused by an incident with the fireworks. But that's just a guess based on what was going on at the time.
On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 2:35:59 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I would say that that is a lousy guess. The fire started way before any fireworks were set off.
I quote from: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/fire-breaks-dubais-years-fireworks-display-36032198
"The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m., about two-and-a-half hours before the midnight fireworks display was set to begin."
Some reports on the day of the incident indicated that the authorities decided to go ahead with the fireworks in order to keep the crowd "contained".
Cancelling the display just hours before midnight would have sent those crowds out into the surrounding streets - some of which were closed, along with some of the subway stations - possibly in panic mode, which could have seriously hampered the fire control efforts. They already had the crowd contained, so they felt is was safest to just go ahead with the display and then disperse the crowds via the already arranged plan.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc writes:

It's more likely to have been an out-of-control BBQ on a balcony.
However, it's all pointless speculation at this time.
On 01/04/2016 02:16 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Those goats do tend to flare up...

Actually, goat (chivo) is quite lean and very tasty. Especially in tacos or Birria.