Dual Saw -- anyone use one?

Page 2 of 2

They are actually good product, especially when you get them at half the price at Ocean State Job Lot. I'm sure a store near you has them too.
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:35:01 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Can they really suck up Coke off the floor under a piece of carpet? Through the carpet, and leave the underside bone-dry, like in the commercial?
I have a coworker who has a couple of them, and when I asked him that, he just scowled at me and went back to his Bridgeport.
Thanks, Rich
wrote in message >

Never tried that, but they do hold moisture well, are good for spills I've had and for drying the car. They do those jobs much better than a regular cloth rag or paper towel.
wrote in message

Well, I hope you enjoyed paying 4x the normal price, as much as you enjoy the products. Billy Mays died in a mansion, donchaknow.
Speaking of 4x the price, think Dyson.... vs. regular ole Hoover -- oh, and lest RicodJour bind up his panties again, this is according to Consumer Reports -- fwiw. Ditto Oreck, whose customer svc and parts are but another scam. Ditto Bose.... etc. The common theme to all these over-priced middling-to-under-quality items: head-pounding marketing.
--
EA

Two products that are a
> complete waste of money. Steam Zapper and Perfect Pancake Maker.
wrote in message

I'm sorry, but in order to think this, you must have RicodJour's WRITTEN permission. You have gone entirely out of bounds on this one. The consequences will be severe.
Steve
wrote

To what end? There's no argument that the majority of the stuff you find on infomercials is targeted at insomniacs that are awake in the middle of the night and buying something, anything!, lets them feel like they're doing something useful. But "debunking" an infomercial is an exercise in futility. Watching an infomercial is a waste of time, and MythBusting them would be an even bigger waste.
The angst-ridden one seems to believe that we should be living in a perfect world, and he can fix this one if only people will listen to him. That way lies madness.
Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Getting upset about the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things to get upset about. At least for sane people.
So, are you saying that before I have a thought or take any action in my life, I should run it by you first? Is that what you are saying, Sparky?
Steve

Not at all. You are of course well able to choose how you spend your time. Please feel free to start your infomercial MythBusting dweeb site. I'm sure watching programs in the wee hours of the morning that you know are selling to suckers, and then investigating, debunking the claims, and posting the results, will improve your life immeasurably. R

Not at all. You are of course well able to choose how you spend your time. Please feel free to start your infomercial MythBusting dweeb site. I'm sure watching programs in the wee hours of the morning that you know are selling to suckers, and then investigating, debunking the claims, and posting the results, will improve your life immeasurably.
No, I believe that the next action I take will improve my life just somewhat ...................
plink! bye.

Really? Google "climb cut" RAS. The very first hit: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/RadialArm_Saw_Cutting.html
Comment from contributor D: There is only one really safe way to cross cut on a RAS - by putting the stock against the fence and then pulling the yoke and blade towards you. This is, technically, a climb cut since you're feeding the blade to the stock in the same direction the blade is rotating. Yes, the blade can "climb" into the stock and the motor can jerk towards the operator. However, that's why you should pull the yoke through the stock with a bit of a "stiff arm" (so to speak), to minimize motor movement should this happen.
Who's ignerint now?
AND, btw, this explains but another lie on the dualsaw mis-infomercial: You CAN cut in either direction with a circular saw (backwards would be climb), you just gotta be careful, and use a "stiff arm". Not recommended, of course.
And, indeed, the dual saw DOES facilitate this bi-directional cutting, but it is an utterly trivial feature. They also strongly imply that *because* of the opposite blade rotation, the dual saw can plunge cut and a circular saw can't. Carpenters plunge cut every day with circular saws. Sheeit, you can plunge cut with a recip saw, if you know what yer doin.
Well, *I* can plunge cut with recip saw..... clearly YOU can't.....
Btw, I disagree mightily with Contributor D:
Climb cuttung, as he correctly describes, indeed requires a "stiff arm", and is thusly a very big pita for thick material. Otoh, Push cutting (conventional) imo is MUCH preferred on an RAS, and safer. And *easier*.
Conventional cut is, of course, how one uses a table saw or circular saw.
Otoh, machinists generally prefer milling in climb, altho material and tooling can vary the equation -- strangely, I've had much better finishes in some mateials using conventional finish cuts... but, gee, look who I'm talking to.....
Any questions?
Oh, btw, I need not have even googled or cited anything, as the "physics" that yer ignerint buddee RicodJour refers to is self-evident, and I could have argued this from geometry alone. Too much work, tho, and no doubt futile for you and yer dualsaw buddee, so I did the google for you.. I'm sure the folks on rec.woodworking can help you out further, if you are still in your chronic daze.
--
EA

This one:

We've also talked about just about everything else. Let's just disband the newsgroup. And while we're at it, I think the patent office should be closed too. Everything's been invented.
Use your Subject window to see if you want to follow the thread or not. If it says, "Free videos of sex with small farm animals", can you intelligently guess what the thread will be about?
I knewwwwwwwwwwwwwww you could.
Steve ;-)
The most important point of the infomercial was missed.. the DualSaw cuts diamond plated aluminum, and almost everyone knows how hard diamond is.
I think they claim 8 years and millions of dollars to develop the DualSaw.. yeah, right.
--
WB
metalworking projects

I was actually going to mention that as a kind of proof of deceptive intent -- but then RicodJour mighta bunched up his panties so tight, he mighta hurt himself.
And where there is smoke there is fire. Even when everything else seems/sounds above board and kosher, one willful piece of neglect fact-wise usually is just the tip of the conjob iceberg. Like fitness infomercials, where they can't even get the name of the muscle right. Which dudn't really matter, being that they are just one long string of illusion, allusion, and non sequiturs.
The Genesis, I believe: Tony Little changed the shape (heh) of the marketing and advertising world. He sold millions of Ab Isolators, being so pudgy he had to wear a shiny Lycra body suit. That's like... that's like..... that's as absurd as a tobacco company telling you not to smoke.
Hey.... wait a minute.... Big Tobaccer IS telling us not to smoke!!! Holy shit.....
Well, anyway, both prove my point: We live in a BizarroLand of logic, which is heaven come to earth fer yer local marketeer.
Tony Little demonstrated this BizarroLand Logic in what could have been the greatest marketing experiment ever performed -- advertising has never been the same since.
And, if TV were the hypnotist's pendulum, then the Internet is a surgical brain probe -- the situation is orders of magnitude worser now.
Marketeers can not only sell snow to an Eskimo, it won't even be snow! AND, you won't be able to return it. AND, not only will your credit card company not reverse the charges, they may up your interest rate to... oh, 40%, instead of the current 30%, for being 1. a self-professed idiot, and 2. for being a pita to them, on top of it all.
More reasons to love Merka.
--
EA