Dual Saw -- anyone use one?

I knew you'd ask that. It was between 20 and 25 years ago; the story was about using wirecut EDM to shape sinterred diamond compacts on the cutters used in both metalworking (a minor use) and woodworking (the major use), particularly on commercial spindle-shapers and routers. The discussion about saw blades was peripheral to the subject, because EDM isn't used to shape the edges of those.

All I can recall is this: In production rip-sawing, the issue is how the cutter *exits* the cut, rather than how it enters. Apparently -- and this is from memory -- saw blades used in commercial ripping just barely extend through the top of the cut, so the re-entry isn't an issue. On the top side of the work, it's almost the same whether you consider it climb- or conventional-cutting. But it makes a big difference when the blade finally leaves the bottom of the cut. If it's cutting when it comes out of the workpiece, it's going to tear the edges of the cut, as any hobbyist woodworker knows from conventional work with a table saw. In the discussion, running the blade in the reverse direction of what most of us condider the "conventional" one, in which the blade exits the work "not cutting," was what they were calling "climb cutting," and apparently that's the preferred mode for production. It requires friction drive and hold-down rollers; the work is fed under power.

BTW, some commercial saws operate upside-down, with the blade(s) above the work, so you might have to reverse "up" and "down" from this discussion. That may just be for multi-blade ripping of lumber; I've never actually seen one of those saws.

I never got involved in studying production woodworking except for that single application, and it was because I covered tooling for a couple of metalworking magazines and I had a client who made special wire EDMs for that work, when I wasn't a staff editor.

Sorry I can't refer you to my article. That old stuff isn't archived online and I wrote over 350 articles about metalworking and tooling, so I don't remember where it ran.

A good question; I don't know about those saws. I hesitated to jump in here at all, except to point out that there is something that is, or was, called "climb cutting" in production sawing, and that it's similar to what we mean by the term in metalworking, with milling cutters.

I will now go back to my nap.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

To what end? There's no argument that the majority of the stuff you find on infomercials is targeted at insomniacs that are awake in the middle of the night and buying something, anything!, lets them feel like they're doing something useful. But "debunking" an infomercial is an exercise in futility. Watching an infomercial is a waste of time, and MythBusting them would be an even bigger waste.

The angst-ridden one seems to believe that we should be living in a perfect world, and he can fix this one if only people will listen to him. That way lies madness.

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Getting upset about the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things to get upset about. At least for sane people.

RicodJour

"Existential Angst" wrote

You can count me in as a viewer of InfomercialBusters, just like MythBusters. Could be some interesting shit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Getting upset about the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things to get upset about. At least for sane people. ==========

Two products that live up to the informercial hype, and more. G2 Swivel Sweeper and NuWave Oven. Both terrific products. Two products that are a complete waste of money. Steam Zapper and Perfect Pancake Maker.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I guess Sham-Wows are in the middle?

Reply to
cavelamb

They are actually good product, especially when you get them at half the price at Ocean State Job Lot. I'm sure a store near you has them too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Can they really suck up Coke off the floor under a piece of carpet? Through the carpet, and leave the underside bone-dry, like in the commercial?

I have a coworker who has a couple of them, and when I asked him that, he just scowled at me and went back to his Bridgeport.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I hope you enjoyed paying 4x the normal price, as much as you enjoy the products. Billy Mays died in a mansion, donchaknow.

Speaking of 4x the price, think Dyson.... vs. regular ole Hoover -- oh, and lest RicodJour bind up his panties again, this is according to Consumer Reports -- fwiw. Ditto Oreck, whose customer svc and parts are but another scam. Ditto Bose.... etc. The common theme to all these over-priced middling-to-under-quality items: head-pounding marketing.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Not at all. You are of course well able to choose how you spend your time. Please feel free to start your infomercial MythBusting dweeb site. I'm sure watching programs in the wee hours of the morning that you know are selling to suckers, and then investigating, debunking the claims, and posting the results, will improve your life immeasurably.

RicodJour

To what end? There's no argument that the majority of the stuff you find on infomercials is targeted at insomniacs that are awake in the middle of the night and buying something, anything!, lets them feel like they're doing something useful. But "debunking" an infomercial is an exercise in futility. Watching an infomercial is a waste of time, and MythBusting them would be an even bigger waste.

The angst-ridden one seems to believe that we should be living in a perfect world, and he can fix this one if only people will listen to him. That way lies madness.

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Getting upset about the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things to get upset about. At least for sane people.

So, are you saying that before I have a thought or take any action in my life, I should run it by you first? Is that what you are saying, Sparky?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm sorry, but in order to think this, you must have RicodJour's WRITTEN permission. You have gone entirely out of bounds on this one. The consequences will be severe.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Not at all. You are of course well able to choose how you spend your time. Please feel free to start your infomercial MythBusting dweeb site. I'm sure watching programs in the wee hours of the morning that you know are selling to suckers, and then investigating, debunking the claims, and posting the results, will improve your life immeasurably.

No, I believe that the next action I take will improve my life just somewhat ...................

plink! bye.

Reply to
Steve B

Never tried that, but they do hold moisture well, are good for spills I've had and for drying the car. They do those jobs much better than a regular cloth rag or paper towel.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski