"Dual" brand Car Stereo (any good)?

Page 1 of 2
From the recent thread on this newsgroup "Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD". I learned a lot about the modern car stereos, and their features. It's been years since I bought a car stereo, and they sure have changed.
Anyhow, I began my "shopping' at the local Walmart, but intended to buy from a larger electronics company, such as Best Buy, or maybe even buy online, after using the store's displays to get familiar with them. I mainly was looking at the Pioneer brand, since I have known their name as a good product.
However, i am back to Walmart, and another brand of stereo. I went to Best Buy in a big city, and was bombarded with a salesman who seemed to be speaking "greek", since he babbled off all the features and kept trying to get me to select the most expensive units ($200 range). He made it sound like I needed all the 'smartphone' features even after I clearly told him I dont have a smartphone or intend to get one. His sales pitch was obviously driven by making the biggest commission by selling the most expensive unit, and he spoke in 'geek' rather than common terms. Needless to say, I did not stay long, and left there more confused than anything else.
So, I went back to Walmart, where they have all their stereos on a display for customers to try. No one bothered me, and I was free to test different stereos at my leisure. I first tried the lower priced Pioneer units, and found them confusing with too many features that are geared to smartphones and without any sort of manuals, I could not really figure them out, with what seemed to be too many buttons....
Then I looked at some other brands, and found a Dual (brand) model XDM280BT. On minutes I had that one figured out, and it seemed relatively easy to use. It has AM FM CD, USB, AUX, CLOCK, and BLUETOOTH. It has 18 presets for FM and 12 for AM radio. It sounds good, and has plenty power, but not excessive power that will likely blow out my factory car speakers (I am not changing speakers). It sells at Walmart for $50, which is about what I wanted to pay, although I would have paid $60 or $70 for the two lower priced Pioneers. However, I have no need for streaming radio, WIFI, and all those smartphone things. And when I'm driving, I surely dont want something that is confusing. I was able to quickly find and download the manual for this Dual stereo online. It also comes wth a remote control (which I really dont see a need for).
My main needs are AM FM CD USB (for playing MP3s), and a Clock. This one has all of that.
I'm wondering of anyone knows if the Dual brand is of good quality, and if it's warranty is decent? ANYONE KNOW?
I almost bought it, except Walmart dont have a power adaptor plug for my 96 Plymouth Voyager, and I'm not sure how to shop (online) for an adaptor that will match both this model stereo, as well as my vehicle. I'll probably also need a faceplate, but it says one is included, whether or not it will fit my vehicle. But I'll make the stereo itself to mount somehow in my dash.
By the way, does the USB on these stereos also double as a cellphone charger? (just curious).
Comments:
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 5:55:35 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Never heard of them before, but there are plenty of cheap products that work coming from China, Korea, etc. Warranty should be on the product info, no?

I haven't put a stereo in a car in decades, but the couple I did years ago had a wiring harness where you just spliced the 12V and other connections to the existing wires. I would think that would still work.

I would suspect that it does, but that should be in the product info too.
On 10/5/2016 6:11 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Corporation. Headquartered in Seoul S. Korea, Namsung is a public company registered on the Korean Stock Exchange. Then Dual was a German company, that used to sell quality Turntables and other home audio equipment. Now 2002 - Namsung Electronics of Heathrow, Florida purchases the rights to the Dual name for the Americas territory and begin marketing their own products under the Dual name. They make car & marine audio equipment as well as speaker systems for the same. They do not make turntables of any kind.

http://www.londondrugs.com/dual-automatic-turntable---black---cs4152/L5493853.html
John T.
7:32 snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
"> They do not make turntables of any kind.
http://www.londondrugs.com/dual-automatic-turntable---black---cs4152/L5493853.html
John T. "
Where did you quote that from - about Dual not making turntables?? Not this thread!
Kman,
It's the last sentence of Keith S's post.
Dave M.
L. Martel wrote: " Kman,
It's the last sentence of Keith S's post.
Dave M. "
Saw it. Forgot how to read after I graduated college!
I think Keith is referring to the current incarnation of Duel - just a name on a shell of Duel's former self.
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:17:04 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

the brand though.
On 10/5/2016 10:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I believe you're wrong, Clare.
Check out their website
http://www.dualav.com
You'll see all manner of speakers, car audio, etc. AND a turntable
http://www.dualav.com/turntables/dt250.php
Yours for a mere $300!<g>
On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 08:24:35 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

by the same folks as the radios or just sold by the same folks - whether it is the Chinese entity or the German --- but yes - it looks like I was quite possibly wrong.
On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 19:33:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Im sure there is no huge demand for turntables these days.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

You might be surprised . Vinyl , tube amps , there are a lot of audiophiles out there that prefer the sound of the "old stuff" over the somewhat sterile sound of a computer rendering of a digital file .
--
Snag

Actually, I still have vinyl records and a turntable. I had the records, but nothing to play them on. I bought the turntable at Goodwill, some years ago. The turntable is old, and it needed a new drive belt, and I was able to find one online. Finding cartridges and/or stylus (needles) is getting harder.
I do agree that they sound "warmer" than digital. It's hard to explain how they differ, but I can notice it.
Tube amps are still popular for guitar amplifiers. Guitarists claim they sound better. I keep watching the shelves of second hand stores for tube amplifiers and stereos. Back in the 1960's/70's, I had a pair of matching mono tube amps, which were designed for old jukeboxes. Each amp had four 6L6 tubes as outputs, and they were real loud and powerful. I wish I had kept them. I used to like to watch the purple glow in those output tubes move around when I cranked them up. The preamp tubes in those amps were known to "ring" when the sound was loud, (which was due to the vibration of the sound effecting the tubes themselves), and was often bordering on feedback. Some people found that distasteful, but I think it made the music sound more "live".
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo pretended :

The term was 'microphonic' when tubes did that. Some amps came with accoustic feedback springs to mimic that 'reverb' sound. Some solid state amps which did a fair job of sounding like tubes (rounded off clipping waveforms, and even/odd harmonic composition) were the FET output models. Still, they could only approximate the sound of tube amps. Macintosh made some good hybrid amps too, I don't even know if they are still in business.
On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 23:06:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

- oops - audiophiles.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'll be setting up my reel to reel tape deck too . Just gotta pick up some speakers , gave my best set to the oldest son for his stereo . I have found some , just need to go get them . Your derision for those who appreciate good sound equipment is noted .
--
Snag
Tin ear ?

I appreciate good sound too - and I still have a couple good turntables - but I don't believe ANYONE can tell the difference getween "oxygen free copper" speaker wires and normal copper wires of the same guage. - among many other "black art" audiphile wonders.
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 23:06:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Dual Phono GmbH http://www.alfredfehrenbacher.de/cm/docs/01_Plattenspieler_EN.pdf by the Alfred Fehrenbacher GmbH. These have a CS prefix on the models. There are also far east dual turntables sold by Dual DGC GmbH in europe. They have a TD prefix on the model numbers.
Namsung Electronics, a Korean company, operates Dual Electronics Corporation out of Florida. Although it is a Korean company, Namsung operates out of Ho Chi Minh City in VietNam.. It is "posible" their products that are handled by Dual DGC GmbH with the TD prefix, but they may also be selling them manufactured by another company that also supplies Dual DGC GmbH, or it could be a totally different company.
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 5:55:35 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo

The faceplate/install issue is probably the biggest. IDK what your existing radio is like, how it's integrated, etc. But in general I think over the years it's probably gotten harder to put an aftermarket radio into many cars. On a lot of cars, IDK how any face plate could make it look right. But then there are all kinds of stereo install shops that are still in business, so I guess they put them in a lot of cars, somehow, but I suspect those days may be dwindling.
Paint,
Back in the old days Dual made pretty good turntables. Never seen any of their other products but it's probably ok and it has a warranty. It puts out 50 watts per channel so make sure your speakers are rated 50 watts or above. Make sure the ohmage of the speakers is 4-8 ohms. Make sure that the car will accept a 1 DIN size radio. Installation and operation is covered in the manual. Make sure you know which color wires go where since US cars may not follow the normal convention The USB port does work as a charger
Dave M.