DTV delayed

Page 4 of 5
Jim Yanik wrote: (snip)

anyway. Sometimes the satt gets an attack of the vapors for several hours at a time, and the local package Dish offers around here does not include all the OTA stations, or (as far as I can tell, at least for non-HD subscribers) any of the sub-channels. If I don't get more digital stations after the cutover, I'm gonna have to go topside, and fix or replace the half-ass antenna that came with this house. I really need a rotor to nail the other set of locals that cover this area anyway. So far, I've managed to stay south of 50 bucks a month with dish, but if they jack their prices again, I may learn to do without those nice channels (History, Discovery, SciFi, etc) that got me to get a dish in the first place. (200-some channels, and only 12 I ever watch...)
Down at my father's place in lake Charles, Louisiana, Dish doesn't even OFFER the local stations. I think they offer Houston, about 4 hours away. He was very happy with the signal I pulled with the converters I installed for him, using a cable from the FM antenna on the roof. Much better than the analog from rabbit ears that he was watching for the morning news. It did take a couple hours to teach him all the buttons to use on the various remotes, since I had to plumb the 2 TVs differently, due to the input jacks available. One on aux, the other on rf4, etc. I wish Dish offered pass-through jacks on their boxes for DVD players, VCRs, converters, and such. It would be easy to engineer in, and then one remote could do it all. (Yes, I have tried pushing all that through a daisy chain on the 'antenna in'. It does not work worth a hoot. Major signal loss and crappy picture. I use an ABCD switch box here, and get a perfect picture, but you gotta get up and press the button.)
-- aem sends...

I live in a world shared with a lot of people.
Jim Yanik wrote:

95% of the gynecologists are male. They just like to keep their hand in...

Until you have checked with the station. Some of the TVs in Indy are having their chief engineer blog about the changeover. A couple have said they are already at full-power (usually those with their weather or news channel running on one of the sidebands).

I personally called WTAE TV pittsburgh and was told the power now is permanent and will not be increasing. Plus they moved their digital transmitter site away from pittsburgh, on the other side of town.
They futher stated if you dont like it call congress
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

If you do, your local congres-critter is where to start, of course.
And, I think FCC still cares about interference reports if provided them; it's obviously silly to expect them to find it on their own, of course.
If there were a wildcat source or somesuch that's the problem, one would not expect you're the only person affected--if so, getting together all those who are will be important to getting anything accomplished. If, otoh, it's only you, that would be indicative of geography or outbuildings or so that might require relocating antenna or some other individual solution. In the end, of course, there are undoubtedly going to be individuals who are left high 'n dry just as there will be those who will get increased access. It will all depend on specifics of every individual situation as to the actual end result.
On Jan 28, 11:12�am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

most stations are NOT increasing power, as a matter of fact some are decreasing digital power once the analog is turned off
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:40:49 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Baloney, pure and simple
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:12:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I had heard that they were lower (though I hadn't heard far lower) but I checked out 2 of the 4 stations that I watch on analog and it's not true for them and certainly not always true.

Not true
One night I emailed channel 9 and one other major network station in DC and both wrote back by 9:30 the next morning to say that they were at full digital power already.
One did say that they would change frequencies on that date and implied that might help my reception.
(What I really need is to repair or replace my amplified antenna in the attic, but that's unrelated to the topic here. Oh, and 2 other stations in DC didn't have email addresses or forms! So I didn't write them.)

good luck the FCC has very few employees, doesnt care about interferance.
with the exception of interfering with essential services like the police or redirecting commercial airliners.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:38:53 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I saw that episode of "24". The FCC has put every technician on it, full time, and hope to solve it soon.

What are you talking about?
"The Senate bill allows stations to make the switch before June if they get approval from the Federal Communications Commission. Public safety organizations in those markets would get immediate access to the old TV airwaves."
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-fi-dtv27-2009jan27,0,6453511.story
On 1/27/2009 8:52 PM Robert Neville spake thus:

Key words: "*if they get approval* from the [FCC]".
mostly pears.

The law as passed the Senate gave stations the opportunity to close down analog if they wanted to. Also for those getting ready to use the freqencies to use them as soon as they were vacated. Congress is relying on the Bcasters not wanting to piss off their viewers to bail the Congress out.

deadline way in advance, publicize the heck out of it, have most get ready but a few screw around, listen to those few scream about how they can't get ready, put it off. It'll be interesting to see if (as in the passport case) if the idiots screw around again and get it pushed back even more.
Ullman wrote:

I remember some recent reasoning as for time of year and economics being a reason to grant a delay. But if the delay gets to close to a year then it's screwing around.
I think that a reasonable final deadline would be close to Memorial Day Weekend and shortly ahead of summer vacations. People being spared by a deadline extension and unable to handle DTV conversion by then due to full-steam-ahead-with-vacation-plans are screwing around. In this new age of cutting back driving, I think that latecomers to DTV conversion spared by a deadline extension should make DTV conversion their activity for the 2009 Memorial Day Weekend.
Maybe a nice deadline could be first Wednesday after July 4th. Anyone who hasn't adapted to DTV yet and who does not make use of the next few months and the Memorial Day and July-4th weekend times and their associated sales to accomplish adaptation to DTV by then appears to me to deserve to be "screwed".
"You need me to get you hooked up for DTV 4 months after a deadline extension after most of a year of advertizing blitz? If ya need it within 2-3 maybe 4 days, ya only get lube for the 'screwing' if I like to use it! Otherwise it's a week or 2-plus!"
I would favor Federal legislation dictating that no gubmint-subsidized coupons for DTV converters be good after the Tuesday before Labor Day 2009, and for those coupons (among any good that late) to lose half their value a week or two before. I would favor final blackout deadline for analog broadcast TV transmissions in USA to be at least 6 weeks before that time (maybe second Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday of July 2009). Fellow Americans who can't get up to speed before late next summer are a disgrace and embarassment in the nation most using GPS devices and radar detectors! Maybe disgrace-squared!
Myself - I managed to adapt to DTV in the summer of 2008. I knew for several months already by then that the change was a'comin'!!!

Coupons expire? Dam those tv commercials didnt tell me, we need alot more of them to help us know this stuff. We need to be informed, maybe they should get Billy Mays to do infomercials on the conversion.
ransley wrote:

You named someone that some, likely many, people would like to ignore and get away from as quickly as possible.
Not too many days ago, a thread started in sci.electronics.design started for a filter to "quench"/"quelch"/"squelch" (my words as opposed to ones used in that thread) or otherwise detect and block presence of that particular personality in "commercials"!
I don't even know who he is - maybe due to being low on watching TV!
But I have been gaining an impression that if that particular personality comes on in an ad or an "infomercial", then I give good chance that I will be quick to change the channel or turn the darned "boob tube" "Off"!
Don Klipstein wrote:

I'm torn on Billy Mays. He's shrill and obnoxious, yes, but he's also got a fairly thick Pittsburgh accent, which makes me nostalgic.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Seems to me designing such a filter ought to be easy in Billy Mays' case: just look for about a 10 db increase in the human-voice band. The guy's a shouter!
mostly pears.