DTV delayed

Page 3 of 5
aemeijers wrote: ...

Oh, that I'll proudly flaunt as far as pop culture kinda' stuff for sure...seemed as though from the reaction it touched a sore spot somehow, though. I guess I'm not too surprised; it's a fairly typical reaction of the "city-selfstyled-sophisticate" we get all the time from KC or Topeka as well...
dpb wrote:

I think it is also a function of age- I get the same attitude from the young whippersnappers at work all the time, as they sit there zoning out to the digital teats plugged into their ears all damn day. (I tell them I got my hearing loss the old-fashioned way, working construction in the pre-earmuff days...)
-- aem sends...
On Jan 28, 12:20�pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

the FCC would admit it they just dont have the manpower to research interference anymore.
At one time they had ovber 50,000 employees today its less than 5000 primarily DC regulators
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:45:27 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Has ZERO to do with DTV
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The consumer DTV sites are near useless, including the ones set up by the stations them selves. You need to go to the FCC web site and look at the file for the nearest major city:
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets /
Keep in mind that these are engineering guesses. Until the sites are up and running on their permanent frequencies and power levels, you can't confirm the coverage quality.

take a close look at all the orange, these are people losing nets permanetely
heres the ABC one
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_report1/ABC.pdf

And then compare that to all the green which shows the areas of the country that are gaining ABC coverage. I'd say there are 20 times more areas getting coverage than losing it.
Aside from dozen or so stations in the midwest that appear to be reducing power (presumably because the advertising revenue for covering the larger area does support the cost of running a higher power transmitter), most of the east coast and pacific NW loss of coverage appears to be due to the poorer signal propagation in the mountains.
Robert Neville wrote:

As an aside, you'll notice the map is delimited by congressional districts.
What do congressional districts have to do with TV coverage?

I'm looking for information from that specific station, because a poster says they are advertising that they will be reducing power. If they are advertising it, why don't they mention it at all on the website?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

If you go to the site I listed and check the file for your nearest major city, you will see a coverage chart for every individual station.

I'm not looking for a coverage chart. I'm looking for a statement from that station that they plan to reduce the power of their digital signal when it officially goes online.
On Jan 29, 8:53am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Here's one that has a banner across the screen every hour or so stating that they will be reducing power in Feb.
No, it's not on their web site but it is on their transmitted signal. Call them to verify.
WAKA , CBS (334)271-8888
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

I've emailed WKMG for clarification on their on-air comment about reducing DTV power level after Feb.17. I'll keep you posted on it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks, Jim.

Reading in the paper today, it's back to Feb. 17, but they're going to do a new vote before then. The politicians can't even get it right, big surprise. :-)
Cheri
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 06:52:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I just read what he said but I've forgotten already. OK, I looked and he does said "advertised" but it still seems more likely to me he read in the paper or online quoing some interview, probably with some radio and tv magazine, or the entertainment reporter of the newspaper, instead of that they advertised it.
Here, my friend, whose brother is a sportscaster, reads www.rtv.com or some similar name, where rtv stands for radio and tv, and it gives news about the industry. Maybe it's DCRTV and only deals with DC and Baltiore and nearby. I can never remember, and she's not home now.
But you can probably find some webpage that deals with radio and tv in your area.

I don't give a rats ass about TV in my area. I have satellite, and it works just fine. I get all my local channels from it as well. I could switch to cable and get the same thing for more money.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:13:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Maybe if you kept better informed about your local area, you wouldn't post the nonsense that I first replied to in this thread.

???
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

WKMG mentioned it on one of their broadcasts;IIRC,it was one of their public notices on their DTV conversion. BTW,I still haven't gotten an answer to my email to them.

If you have satellite,why are you in on the DTV discussion? It doesn't affect you at all.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik