DTV converters dont work

Page 1 of 2
I finally got one of them DTV converters. I plugged it into the outlet and turned it on. Nothing happened at all. I just get the same channels I had before. I took it back to the store and got another one. Same problem, nothing happens. I already know what I am going to do with this one. On the 4th of July I am going to take it out to our fireworks picnic, put several powerful fireworks under it and let it explode in honor of the government who sent me the $40 coupon I used to get it. It's just too bad I had to waste another $20 on this useless junk. When they shut off our tv sets on midnight next New Years eve, I'll just celebrate the new year by blowing up my tv with some more fireworks in honor of the crooks in Washington who stole our tv programs. Leave it to the government to screw up our lives.
Add pictures here
✖

If this is screwing up your life you watch too much TV. Use this as an opportunity to read a book all the way through! And you'd think GW would be more sensitive to your needs.
Add pictures here
✖
jthread wrote:

I think a book on English grammar might be a good suggestion....
Add pictures here
✖

101 I got an A and 102 I got a C. I took 102 over the summer. Anyway, I didn't know this was a test professor. In other words, fuck off. Did you understand that?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@none4u.com wrote:

Might as well blow it up, nothing but commercials on it anyway. They probably hate to interrupt their commercials with programming.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖

With all the product placement in regular programming it's hard to tell the difference between the shows and the commercials.
Add pictures here
✖

I don't like shows that do that.
BTW, I'm reminded of an old show called "Wild Kingdom".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Claude Hopper wrote in message ...speaking of TV programs

And...as if all those commercials weren't bad enough, all those pop up ads during the programming is enough to make one crazy. I really don't watch much TV these days, but while we're complaining, how about all those loud, intrusive sound tracks that are so popular with just about every movie that is made, and one more...DVD's that don't allow you to FF through previews. :-)
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖

Just what did you expect from the converter box?
I understand it will allow you to continue receiving TV AFTER all TV broadcasting has gone to HD.
It will not receive more channels than you already have and it will not show them in HD unless you have an HDTV.
Don
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:11:40 -0400, freckles wrote:

It will receive more channels if your local stations are broadcasting more. It will receive less if they are broadcasting less.
Try to remember to put it on channel 3 if your TV works that way.
CL
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:11:40 -0400, "freckles"

Which is something that it likely to never happen.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
✖
freckles wrote:

Broadcasting is going over to digital, HD is an option.
✖
On Jun 30, 5:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@none4u.com wrote:

Try plugging in the tv to the box
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 05:11:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none4u.com wrote:

Apparently, a really large number of those RCA and Magnavox boxes sold at Wal-Mart (including the one I tried) were defective. I've been in 2 stores recently, and they're not selling them anymore.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
✖

Its not supposed to do anything now. Next year when the analog signals cease and broadcast is only in digital, thats when you'll see what it does. If you have satellite or cable, you don't need the box anyway..You only need one for a regular (pre-digital) TV getting its signal thru an antenna.
Add pictures here
✖

It IS supposed to do something if any stations around you are broadcasting digital (ATSC) signals. There's a lot of places that do. I'm not in a big market, but there's still 4 channels (8 if you count the subchannels). That's ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, 2 independents, and continuous weather.
BTW, the Magnavox unit I tried didn't work right (and it thinks it can get a channel that doesn't exist) but the Zenith works fine.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
✖

Nope. Several of our local channels are already broadcasting in digital and HD, so the set-top converters are already doing what they are designed to do.
BG
Add pictures here
✖

In many markets, stations have been simulcasting ATSC digital for over five years, so there are digital signals to use those boxes with right now. It's not like all of a sudden next February they throw a big Analog>Digital switch (or is it 0|1). They will just turn off their analog transmitters and continue with digital as they have been for some time. I don't get why this is so hard to grasp.
cw in MI
Add pictures here
✖
But most of the local stations are already simulcasting their programming in HD on digital and SD on analog. So he was probably right, all he got was the same channels he already had...
Now in my local area, the CBS affiliate only broadcasts a single signal, NBC affiliate has one HD, and one SD with the weather only, ABC affiliate has two HD one is the ABC signal and one is the CW, Fox has one HD, and PBS has four, one HD and three SD. Plus the each still have their analog broadcasts. Plus we have a low power UHF analog station which will probably still be analog after the cut-over.
Rudy wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

The stations may have HD capability, but much of the programming on digital is still in SD.
BTW, digital stations are not at full power yet, I'm told, but I havent' been able to find out what percentage of power they are likely to be using.
I have a Philips DVDR 3736H, I think it is, with a 160 gig harddrive. Its design, its logic isn't perfect, but it's the closest thing to a VCR I could fine. 250 at Sams Club. BEst not to buy mail order because quite a few of them are defective. But mine worked fine, minus the design issues.
It gets both digital and analog, and come February, I'll just stop using the analog. But now I'm still using it, because the digital fades out for 1 to 3 seconds every once in a while. Of course my amplified antenna in the attic is broken now, and all I have is an 8 foot wire on the bedroom floor, plus they are not at full power.
Plus I bought one converter box, in case I don't want to rely on the dvdr. (all my tvs are connected to the bedroom.)

Add pictures here
✖