DTV converter boxes - good, bad, ugly?

Page 1 of 2

So the converter boxes have been out for a while now... do any of them stand above the rest of the field? I don't think I'm ready to start purchasing new TVs yet, nor am I getting very far with wiring my whole house for cable, so I might as well go ahead and get my coupons.
nate
Zenith DTT900 is fine. I bought 2 and like them

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Is it one w/ analog passthru???
On 8/28/2008 5:40 PM dpb spake thus:

According to the sheet I got from the TV converter box coupon agency, that one does have analog passthrough (both the 900 and the 901).
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Thanks, I got the sheet somewhere, too, just nice to have confirmation from someone it seems to be a decent box...
I got the coupons but ain't done nuttin' w/ 'em as yet...
I'm expecting when the switchover comes to have nothing anyway as suspect the signal strength will be too low at the far fringe area we're in. I guess at that point I'll just be back to the 50s again...sometimes "progress" ain't alto I guess there's always the possibility of being surprised...
dpb wrote:

Hang an antenna from a tethered balloon, and just crank out the rope when you want to watch TV?
-- aem sends...
dpb wrote:

To locate your stations and their signal strength, go to http://tvfool.com , click on Signal Locater, and plug in your ZIP code. Shows the stations before and after switchover.
Leroy wrote:

I know _where_ they are; they're not building anything new.
The stations say they don't know if signal strength will be sufficient or not and they have no plans to do anything about outlying areas if it isn't when asked.

Nice link. Lots of detailed info. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the replies guys, I did see those at CC so I went ahead and ordered my coupons. Please post and let us all know if something changes and there's a new better product (since I won't get the coupons for another month it appears.) I did a little searching on the Zenith unit and it sounds like the audio output is weak on pre-May '08 built models FWIW. Only a concern, I guess, if you are using the RCA plugs for audio and not the RF modulator.
nate

Thanks for the replies guys, I did see those at CC so I went ahead and ordered my coupons. Please post and let us all know if something changes and there's a new better product (since I won't get the coupons for another month it appears.) I did a little searching on the Zenith unit and it sounds like the audio output is weak on pre-May '08 built models FWIW. Only a concern, I guess, if you are using the RCA plugs for audio and not the RF modulator.
nate
The early model, the Zenith DTT900, did have a couple of audio problems. Those audio issues have been resolved by the latest Zenith model, the DTT901. Also, the DTT901 has "analog pass-thru", the DTT900 did not not have "analog pass-thru".
Jean
On 8/29/2008 12:42 PM Jean spake thus:

According to the sheet I got from the TV converter box coupon program, both the 900 and the 901 have analog passthrough.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
David Nebenzahl wrote:

The 901 has pass thru. The 900 doesn't. (I have a 900)
Get a Apex 250 from BB if you want s-video out.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:42:30 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's the model I have. It works well.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
N8N wrote:

Hi, New LCD panels use less power compared to old CRT ones.

I'm sure they do, but for all the TV I watch it is definitely not worth it. Was looking at new TVs today and even a "cheap" one is $400. Ain't happenin' when I have several perfectly good old ones. Yeah, it'd be nice to watch TV in HD but just to listen to the news/ weather while I get dressed in the AM? And my 53" projector in the basement is fine when there's something I actually want to watch on. No, it's not HD either, but for $200 off craigslist it beats the heck out of a couple kilobucks. I am sure I could save more money by insulating the upstairs.
nate
N8N wrote:

Yup, When projector lamp goes it's not xheap either. LCD panel has back lighting lamp as well. By the time you saved enough there'll be better panels out. Currently 1080P Plasma or 1080P 120Hz LCD panel and organic LED TV are at the top. All pricy.

Yup, I'm sure. Hopefully by the time one of my current sets dies something comparable to the current state of the art will be more affordable as well. I'm probably either dating myself or proving that I'm a cheap bastard when I found myself looking at some reasonably sized (appx. 32") LCDs with a possible eye towards replacing the bedroom TV and found myself thinking "I've bought cars that took me to work every day for less than that!"
nate
Tony Hwang wrote:

And the payback period for a $500 27" generic flat panel that replaces a working-fine 27" glass Sony Trinitron is how long, exactly? Make the math easy- figure 4 hours on-time per day.
-- aem sends...

That's really generous... if I watch 4 hours of TV a day that is a very long TV day, and I'm likely to be doing it on the couch in the basement where I have the big projector. An LCD comparable to that guy is more like $4K. The little CRT jobs I literally never watch; SWMBO may have the one in the bedroom on for ~15 minutes every morning while she's getting dressed, because she likes to catch the morning weather report. The other one in the garage only gets used if I happen to be working out there and there's a good football or hockey game on.
In fact, we pretty much didn't watch TV at all until I got the big 'un, and I don't know that that's all bad.
nate