Drywall with untaped joins

With the intention of painting, we stripped the wallpaper off the walls in one room of the house we just bought -- only to find that under the wallpaper is sheetrock that has been painted without the joins having been taped first: the joins appear to have been been spackled to fill the gaps then sanded to smooth out the transitions, and then the whole lot painted.
I am not sure that simply painting over this lot again is going to do the trick, but what do we need to do? Can we merely tape over the (painted) joins then apply drywall compound? Or do we have to remove the paint in the region of the joins before taping? Or is it OK to just paint over the whole lot?
-- MB
Best bet sand the area to put new tape and plaster, let dre, sand again to even it out then paint. Do it right once and you will save time in the long run. Paul

Minnie Bannister wrote:

how do you know that they dont have any tape???? if you cant see it well you not suppose to when the do a good job....
There are still irregularities in the surface: there are distinct lines corresponding to the edges of the drywall sheets, and little "steps" where they seem not to have done too good a job of smoothing out the transitions. These were all hidden by the wallpaper.
-- MB
On 12/30/03 04:10 pm jim put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:<br>

--
MB

On 12/30/03 04:10 pm jim put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:<br>
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:06:14 -0500, Minnie Bannister

If there are no cracks along the joins, then you are in luck. Make sure the surface is abosolutly smooth before you paint. Use a trouble light against the wall and your head against the wall to see imperfections. Sand out any bumps, spackle & sand the dips. Painting is all aobut the prep work. A primer is a good idea.
Don't you just love these bastards that take shortcuts? They should be jailed. Des