Drywall Tips?

I need to replace some drywall behind some of my kitchen appliances and I've never done it before. I'm going to read about how to do it but are there any things I should know that might not be outlined in my how-to guide. Thanks.

Reply to
Brandon

Yes, the actual technique of applying the mud. I too tried sheetrocking after lots of reading on the subject. Made a mess of my first job. HIred a guy to straighten it out. I learned more in the first minute watching him than all my reading. Have done a lot since turning out near professional quality but slow.

Try to find a crew doing the work and ask if you can watch a few minutes.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Reply to
maximum

Agreed.

The pros can do one quick pass with a few strokes of the knife and it looks great in a matter of seconds. With a second very quick pass (or maybe a 3rd) it is done.

Don't even try. Expect to spend a long time fussing with it, spreading mud, trying to smooth it, putting more on, taking it off, sanding*, applying multiple layers, etc. For tricky spots, I have gone back 5, 6, or more times trying to get it to look right, especially while learning.

My tips: - Get an assortment of knives: roughly 12", 8", 5", 2". The 12" especially is very important. - * Don't sand EVER if you can help it. Use the wet-sponge technique. Really. It doesn't matter that the pros don't use it. For the rest of us, it is a win-win approch.

Reply to
kevin