Drywall tapered edge should be on inside or outside corner?

I am hanging drywall and putting metal corner beads on outside corners and paper ones on the inside ones. Since its usually not possible to have tapered sides on both types of corners, which type of corners should have tapered edges? or is there some mix?

Reply to
ississauga

I would tend to choose the tapered end to the outside.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Why? The metal outside corner edging he's installing protrudes beyond the planes of the intersecting walls. So no taper of the board is necessary there--running the knife along that metal edge and each wall gives an easy and automatic feathering the width of the knife!

And tapers on an inside corner will help to 'bury' the tape, no?

--JWW

And kindly explain your Irish math--not being Irish I just don't get it!

Reply to
John W. Wells

You're a crook and a crossposting lamer.

Reply to
Fred Martin

54" wide drywall is available, for exactly this purpose.
Reply to
Michael Shields

make sure you use enough mud when doing corners that is the major cause of failure.. people think that it it the tape that stops the cracks, buts it is the lack of mud behind the tape that causes the cracks....

Reply to
jim

Use one 48 inch and one 54 inch board of whatever length ....

Ken

Reply to
bambam

I've seen it done with a little strip half way up, taped as one wide joint. But I didn't like what I saw. (I didn't do it.)

-v.

I like the tapers on the outside too. That lets me get a mostly square corner with little odd filling there. When it's time to do the baseboard molding, chair rail, etc it fits much better. The un-square inside corner is much easier less of an issue.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

you mean for the one time you did drywall work? you spend your entire life in usenet crossposting bad advice. when do you find time to do any drywall work....

Reply to
Amos

If you do go with hanging vertically, you can get 4x9 sheets which would have less waste.

We have an ICF foundation (insulated concrete form) with 9' high walls and must cover with drywall, so I'm thinking about going vertical with

9' sheets for the basement.
Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Normally, tapered edges on corners don't help you as much as they help in the middle of the wall. You only get tapered edges on corners if you hang the drywall vertically. In most applications, it's better to hang horizontally. It usually reduces the overall total length of joints you must seam.

Reply to
jeffc

They make 4 1/2' wide drywall for that purpose (normally, for 9' ceilings).

Reply to
jeffc

You are correct generally. You also reminded me of one suggestion I should have made. Don't mix tapered and square edges on the same side of the same corner.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan