Drywall tape?

I heard an interesting conversation the other day. The person said you should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.
Steve Thrasher wrote:

Most pros still use the paper tape, but the mesh is OK to use where the panels come together evenly or on a small repair job. Still best to use paper on corners. Some people make the mistake of putting the mesh on a flat area and then spred the mud right down to the top of the mesh which shows easier then paper, but that's the wrong technique.
Joey wrote:

the difference with paper tape is that that tape needs a light coat of mud to stick to. The mesh tape can be "pressed" on first....

the only reason to put on tape is to prevent cracking. Building codes require tape or mesh... Wether the paper and grid tape really make a difference is to be seen.
if the walls and foundation is built correctly, you wont need tape.

How about just using wide masking tape? That stuff will REALLY stick.
Steve Thrasher wrote:

They're both fine if you use them right. Both have problems if you don't.
I prefer to use paper tape in corners. Mainly because my knife tends to vibrate on the mesh. The crease in the paper tape makes for a clean corner. Paper tape is cheaper. Since I use paper in the corners generally I use paper everywhere. Mesh may be easier for a beginner. Once the job is finished I don't think it matters if paper or mesh was used.

I started with mesh cause everyone was singing praises when mesh came out.
Now mostly use paper. Cheaper and a lot stronger IMHO.
But ...
mesh works too...

If you use the mesh you need to mud with dura-bond or E-Z sand for the tape coat. Drying type mud isn't strong enough. Tim

The person was mostly right. Read Mr. Mulvey's answer to you to learn why. Using mesh tape WILL result in cracks in corners and wall-ceiling joints unless the correct joint compound is used.
--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Doug Boulter Wrote:

--
mud fellow