Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy windy rain a little might blow in.
Will this be a problem for the drywall?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

For short term, no...hopefully you set it up on 2x4 or similar so if there is some water blown on to the floor it won't be standing in a pool...

depending on the timetable and weather, the problem could be if it takes on dampness and bends from flat to the shape of the porch before you get to hang it, like the old piece standing in my damp basement.
buffalobill wrote:

It'll straighten out and dry out if you were to hang it somewhere...

Can't tell from here, but even a little water will give the mold spores (they're everywhere) an opportunity to start growing. Little bastards!
Keep it dry. I'd have it standing up leaning against the house and as far from the rain as possible. It should also be up on some wood blocks so it's not sitting on the porch floor. It'll stay drier and it's easier to pick up.
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.
jtees4 wrote:

Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If "temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still, if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where that is?
My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?

I'll answer your question with a question. Where is this porch? and another Do you think that ambient humidity might have an influence on a bone dry paper product?
RicodJour wrote:

Not unless it is near 100% RH continuously for quite a long time will it have any long term detrimental affect. Most places store drywall in open warehouses, anyway.

And the drywall moves. Your first post mentioned that it won't be a problem for the short term. I agree. But we've all encountered sliding time scale renovations. I'll get to it _next_ weekend... Of course that presents the bigger problem.
I also don't see 100% RH in basements and closets around here, but I do see mold growth. I lived in New Orleans and even short term storage outdoors would present problems with drywall. You can spit on the side walk and stuff would start growing. Even relatively short term storage in a outdoor location that might get wet a bit promotes mold growth. I don't see the earth ending with a little bit of mold, but it is a PIA. Better safe than sorry.
RicodJour wrote:

But, what I didn't add and the reason for the question (and admittedly, it was kinda' a knee-jerk one but I'm twiddling thumbs this morning waiting for a return call from a vendor on a controller repair part for the boomlift) was these concerns which are surely possible but still take the ends of the spectrum have already been addressed and here's a post that essentially says the world will come to an end. I wondered whether that respondent really had something in mind or was just reacting (like I did to his)...
That's all...
In general, I'd prefer the OP put it on the porch under the tarp than in the basement. If he had a closed garage that wasn't _too_ inconvenient, that would undoubtedly be better, but why make more trouble for oneself than necessary?
And, sure, if the project stretches out into months, sure, he ought to put it somewhere else, but that wasn't the question raised.
And, yeah, did I say I'm bored yet?... :)

Thanks everyone for your posts. I stored it on 2x4s on my porch, under two overlapping blue tarps. Several storms blew through the area and some water did puddle on the one side of the tarp. No water went underneath. I pulled two sheets off the stack this weekend and it was in the same condition when I brought it home. No dampness, mildew or dark spots.
And a big 'of course' on the sliding time scale...I was supposed to have this done 3 weeks ago :)