Drywall Repair with Hardibacker

I installed a new bathroom vanity and in place of the medicine cabinet that was recessed I am going to use a flat mirror. The vanity is 36" and an off the shelf 36" X 30" frameless mirror from HD is what I plan on installing. The only problem is that the hole from the old cabinet extends about one inch to the left of the vanity, and I want the mirror directly centered, so I will have to repair the drywall. I've got some hardibacker board laying around already. Would there be an issue using this instead of green board for the repair? I was going to install a frame inside the opening from 2X2s to mound the board to, then tape and finish the right side. Any problems with this cracking later with the hardibacker to greenboard transition?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

As long as the thickness of the hardibacker is the same as the greenboard, I don't see a problem with doing that.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I just repaired the wall behind the washing machine using hadibacker. It looks just fine.
I repaired the wall because the drain overflowed and damged the wall. When I got the drain replaced I decided to use the hardibacker I had because if it ever overflows again it will standup to the water.
Bill Gill