Drywall Repair Questions

I need to do some home drywall repairs, mostly patching holes and retaping some failed joints. Could I please get your opinions regarding my choice of the following products to give the best results?

Holes patched with a new piece of wallboard - tape joints with fiberglass tape, cover with setting-type compound; second and third coats with ready-mixed compound.

Retaping failed joints - tape joints with paper tape, embed with setting-type compound; second and third coats with ready-mixed compound.

For the setting-type compound, which would be best - regular or light? I understand the sanding difficulties with regular, but want to get the strongest joint.

For the ready-mixed compound, I get confused with all the available types - regular, lightweight, all-purpose, multi-use...

Thanks for any help. Jim Burns

Reply to
mjb920

Greetings,

I have good results with nothing but regular ready-mix and fiberglass mesh tape. You don't need lots of different materials. Just be sure that you use enough compound to firmly embed the tape, completely cover the tape, and then don't stop sanding until it is flat. With a little practice you won't spend as much time in the sanding phase.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William Deans