Drywall repair methods

When repairing drywall/sheetrock, the method I've seen used is as follows:
(1) Cut the hole into a square shape (2) Cut out a new, square piece of drywall that match the shape of the hole in the wall (3) Use drywall screws to attach 3/4" x 2-1/2" wood furring strips to the inside of the hole (4) Use drywall screws to attach the new piece of drywall to the wood furring strips (5) Tape the edges (6) Fill in the edges with freshing mixed compound
Is there a better way to support the new piece of drywall, than using 3/4" x 2-1/2" wood furring strips?

That's backward. To get a better fit, but a new piece of drywall first. Then, hold that piece up and trace around it. Cut out *that* hole.

I don't think so. Are you thinking it's not enough, or overkill? It's quite easy and quite sturdy, really. The other option is to cut all the way back to the studs, and connect to the studs. Even then you'd have a bigger hole, and I'd still use furring strips for the other edges.

The hole I'm fixing was cut to install wiring. The hole is about 3" wide to 24" long and the space is cramped. I thought the regular way might be overkill, but was also searching for more efficient methods.
I have used small strips of wood 1/4" x 1" or approx., plywood is good as it resists splitting from screws. I have also used hot-melt glue to stick the wood strips in place and to stick the patch in place onto the wood strips, or sometimes pieces of drywall hot-melt glued in back. Basicly anything that will hold the patch in place untill you can mud it into place and put some tape on it.

So you will definitely be going over at least 1 stud. Screw to that, of course. Another option that might be easier to work with in cramped quarters is the kit they sell for this purpose - it's a set of little metal "screens" with clips on them. You then use drywall screws for metal to screw into the screens. Much smaller than furring strips, and should serve your purpose fine.
This is a technique that I developed years ago when I needed to cut access holes and then patch them afterward.
http://www.wd40jobsite.com/secret_detail.cfm?idt8&c=1&q=&s=1
Before cutting the hole, you should think about how you will patch it when you're finished. That will help you decide the best way to cut. I have seen many pros and amateurs alike take a hammer and punch holes in drywall and worry about patching them later.

This method will work very well for small holes like you describe:
Square up the hole as stated. Then cut the replacement rock 4" oversize both directions. Turn the rock over and score the hole size. Break the rock, do not cut the face paper; peel the rock off the face paper, leaving a 2" flap all around the patch piece. Dry fit the piece, butter the hole perimeter, wipe in your paper flap.
********************************************* Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G
(remove the 7)