drywall repair

I have a hole in a drywall wall to repair. It is about 2 inches wide and about 6 inches long. The drywall is 5/8th thickness. Is the best way to repair it, to fill the hole with mud and then put drywall tape over it? Then sand and add more mud as needed? Or should I try to put a piece of drywall in the hole first? Patt

Screw a stick to the inside of the hole to support the patch. Fill the hole with a scrap of dry wall and put a coat of mud over it to just fill the cracks. Remove the screws after the mud dries, the patch should hold on its own. Then continue mudding, with taping over the joints. Greg
Greg O wrote:

Even easier than a stick are drywall repair clips, made for just that kind of job:
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/58841-Drywall-Repair-Clips.html
or:
http://tinyurl.com/cjmyw
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
The drywall kit that Jeff mentioned is well worth the price for a do-it-yourselfer. Lowe's and Home Depot sell this kit with the clips, screws, tape, and instructions. Look in the section where the drywall tools are located.