Drywall problem

I am removing some paneling in a hallway. The plaster, as usual, is in bad shape. I've done this throughout the house and always put drywall over the plaster without any trouble. Now however, I've run into a problem. One wall is behind a fireplace. The old plaster butts up to the back of the brick with the brick exposed. There is no room to build out with some furring strips. The width of the area is about 3 feet. Any ideas on how to run the drywall over the brick?

Reply to
rile

really hard to picture what you are describing. Do the bricks protrude infront of the existing plaster?

Reply to
ben.aust

fire rated 5/8" X drywall.

buffalobill

Joint Compound will stick the drywall to brick. If that is what you are asking.

Reply to
calhoun

construction adhesive

Reply to
Chub

Or just fix the plaster.

Reply to
scott21230

Screw the drywall to studs on each side of the bricks and use contstruction adhesive on the brick to drywall areas...it will be fine.

Reply to
twstanley

PL Premium or other construction adhesive. Use screws to hold the drywall in place while the adhesive dries, then remove screws.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Screws will damage the brick face. If you care about that, then prop a plank or two on the outside of the drywall, and prop it in place with a shower-curtain rod, instead.

Reply to
Goedjn