Drywall on concrete wall?

Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without special preparation?If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Reply to
Anonymous

No.

Build the wall out with furring strips or preferably studs.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Anonymous

If those are interior block walls, you might get away with it. The main problem is moisture, exterior walls tend to have too much moisture for drywall. You generally need to separate it with an unbroken vapor barrier.

How about trying a couple of those fiberglass finished panels designed for finishing basements.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I wouldn't. If I was tight on space I'd mud the wall with a sticky mortar mix. Work it well and give it a couple coats of paint & it will look as good and be both cheaper and more durable than sheetrock. [and it will be fun to watch someone try to hang a picture with a nail/screw]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If it's an outside wall, forget it. If it's an inside wall, I'm not sure what you could do, but I'm imagining you would need to look at a material other than drywall - maybe a skim coat of plaster directly on the concrete?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What "code requirements" force you to mount it directly on the wall?

Reply to
Doug Miller

They probably are concerned about an underground, concrete wall being subjected to fire. Drywall will provide 30 minutes of flame retardation allowing the folks to escape.

It's for the children.

I'd put up insulating foam boards, texture it, and paint.

Who could tell?

Reply to
HeyBub

what code won't allow for a 1" furring strip?

S. Barker

Wouldn't exposed foam be a big fire hazard? Probably very illegal.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Sure it can in a small area like that...As long as there are NO water leaks...You just need to use the new Mold Resistant sheetrock like GP Brand DensArmor or USG Brand FiberRoc AquaTough..Attach with PL 100 Drywall Adhesive and tempory bracing....There is also sheetrock rated for outside use and is usually used in commercial applications for fire rating....You could check a drywall supply company for speciality sheetrock and advice...Good luck...

Reply to
benick

If it is, a lot of house are in violation. I was talking about the insulating board that they face framework with.

Besides, that stuff doesn't support combusion. It'll melt, but won't burn.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not really a fire hazard, but a smoke hazard if something else starts a fire and burns the foam along with it. Building insulating foam is treated with fire retardants and if you take the source of ignition away, the foam will go out. That said, it is still against code to have it exposed. There is, however, a fire retarding paint you can put over it that is acceptable. Cost is over $50 a gallon though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Even more fun to watch them punch a hole in the "drywall" with there fist.

Jimmie

Reply to
Jimmie D