drywall mud recipe

Page 1 of 2

I recently put up drywall in my garage (two wall and ceiling). I started to do the taping and mudding part and I have a question about the consistency of the mud. The five gallon bucket of mud says to add water to get the correct consistency. Being that this is my first major drywall project, I'm not sure what consistency to look for. Does anyone have a recommendation for the amount of water to add to a five gallon bucket of mud? or how to gauge the correct consistency?
Robin

If your talking about the 5 gallon USG joint compounds, I never added water. It was fine out of the bucket. Perhaps they are saying that in case you had it for a while and it dried up.

It's USG All Purpose Jint compound. The instructions say that for covering fasteners, the mudd can be used directly out of the bucket. For taping, thinning should be done by adding water. Thus my question on how much to add.
Robin

Start with just a couple of cups. It is better to mix the mud in a separate bucket, if you get it to thin you can add some more mud. Some pros I've spoken with use "less than a quart" for a 5 gallon bucket.
Have a look at this video. It shows a good consistency. Notice when he lifts if out that the mud is not runny. More like a cake batter?
Video:
http://www.drywallschool.com/mud.htm

It's USG All Purpose Jint compound. The instructions say that for covering fasteners, the mudd can be used directly out of the bucket. For taping, thinning should be done by adding water. Thus my question on how much to add.
Robin
IMO, all purpose is fine as shipped for nail heads, bedding and taping including the skin coat over the tape.
Additional coats require a small amount of water.
It is something you have to learn. But to get you started, if is has the consistency of brownie mix that is about right for the second coat.
Thick pancake batter, or soft butter is better for the later coats.
--
Colbyt

It may be "fine" right out of the bucket but it's alot harder on the body...LOL...
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:20:03 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

My drywall guy always waters that down a bit so it goes on smoother for the later coats. That makes for less sanding.
Mikepier wrote:

Mud straight out of the bucket is fine for filling big gaps, but you certainly can't do good finish work that way. It must be thinned down either in the bucket or individual batches in the tray.

the method that has always worked for me is to fill your mud pan, but before you put your knife in, dip it in a bucket of water. Do this everytime you go back to the pan. Your knife stays wet, the mud flows better, etc etc...
good luck with your project.
jc

I just used the same product. I took as much compound out as I needed. The directions say to add small amounts of water. I took out about 1 or 2 pints of compound and added about 2 - 3 tablespoons of water. Mix vigorously. The water helps with the final coat of plaster. I didn't need to sand at all and the wall came out beautiful. I used a 14" plaster knife for the final coat. Don't add too much water. You'd probably be better off with no water than too much. Of course if the compound has been sitting around along time you'll need more water. The more water you add the longer it takes to dry.
You just want the plaster to apply smoooothly and SMALL amts of water goes along way. Since you're not familiar with the product work with small amounts.

Not to nit pick but plaster and joint compound are 2 VERY different things..There is no such thing as a plaster knife..It is a 14 inch taping knife..Just wanted the OP to know what to ask for if he went looking for one or he would be laughed at...For plaster you use flat 12 inch trowls and haulks...HTH...

That's incorrect. The act of applying compound is plastering. Look it up if you don't believe me. You're only looking at one narrow definition of plaster. "to lay flat like a layer of plaster." is plastering. But, If you go to Homedepot they will call it a taping knife. I seriously doubt he'd be laughed at as a taping knife is used for the act of plastering. Joint compound is commonly called "drywall plaster".
And you are correct; you are nit-picking.

You're full of it...Show me a link..
Answers.com. plaster
n. 1.. A mixture of lime or gypsum, sand, and water, sometimes with fiber added, that hardens to a smooth solid and is used for coating walls and ceilings. 2.. Plaster of Paris. 3.. A pastelike mixture applied to a part of the body for healing or cosmetic purposes. Also called sticking plaster. 4.. Chiefly British. An adhesive bandage.
v., -tered, -tering, -ters.
v.tr. 1.. To cover, coat, or repair with plaster. 2.. To cover or hide with or as if with a coat of plaster: plastered over our differences. 3.. To apply a plaster to: plaster an aching muscle. 4.. 1.. To cover conspicuously, as with things pasted on; overspread: plaster the walls with advertising. 2.. To affix conspicuously, usually with a paste: plaster notices on all the doors. 5.. To make smooth by applying a sticky substance: plaster one's hair with pomade. 6.. To make adhere to another surface: "His hair was plastered to his forehead" (William Golding). 7.. Informal. 1.. To inflict heavy damage or injury on. 2.. To defeat decisively

Thanks everyone for the info and the video link. I've got the tape using the mud as it came out of the bucket. This weekend I'll work on the skin coat by adding a little water to the mud. Then I'll finish it. the following weekend. Of course sanding in between coats. Then of course, there's priming and painting. Soo much fun to look forward to....lol
Robin

Thanks everyone for the info and the video link. I've got the tape using the mud as it came out of the bucket. This weekend I'll work on the skin coat by adding a little water to the mud. Then I'll finish it. the following weekend. Of course sanding in between coats. Then of course, there's priming and painting. Soo much fun to look forward to....lol
Robin
Good luck with your project...There is nothing like the feeling of completing a job and knowing you did it yourself and it looks good...
wrote in message> Good luck with your project...There is nothing like the feeling of

Hey Einstein, you should know enough to let em know, you don't sand "All Purpose".
Just so you know, you knock down the edges, and top coat with a topping.
Don't be giving out information, if you don't know WTF you're doing.
wrote in message

You are an idiot...Don't go away mad , just go away...
wrote in message

Wow, what great come back to show your intelligence on compounds. Bravo!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!
wrote in message

Bye , bye assclown...welcome to my kill file...You're # 5..
wrote in message> Bye , bye assclown...welcome to my kill file...You're # 5..
LMAO!!!! Caught you with your lack of knowledge, and I'm the assclown. LMAO!!!!!
Expand your knowledge base, that way you can share it. Instead of making stuff up, as you go along.