drywall joint variances

When you have a joint in drywall work where there is maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the two pieces due to vertical changes...(not the whole length of the joint)...do you simply continue the tapering ( fiber tape) or should you fill the open areas of the joint with mud first before you tape it ?
Thanks, Tim

inch
should
WOW! Quite a gap! If the gap is absolutely necessary I would fill it in first with setting type mud before taping otherwise you will have an ugly ripple over the gap and a soft spot. This is not good.
Mike D.

I would tape over the gap. That's what fiber tape was made for.
TimR wrote:

Prefill the problem areas and let them set up (at least partially) before taping. Depending on the mud and your technique, you'll find that the mud may sag or bulge when you try to fill significant gaps. If you're prefilling it's a simple matter to scrape the excess off before you apply the tape. It's not so easy to fix if the tape's already embedded.