Drywall Disposal

Can I bury drywall in the yard or is it too toxic.

Thanks

Reply to
Sanbar

Not toxic in the least, but it will add considerable alkalinity to that area over time. May or may not beneficial to area plants.

Reply to
Mark

It's Gypsum!! Gypsum is sold as a soil additive. It tends to break up clay.

I'd bury it but distribute it so it's not too c>Can I bury drywall in the yard or is it too toxic.

Reply to
davefr

It typically contains a lot of glass fibers which are not something I'd want in my yard.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

This is an excellent additive for acidic clay soil, in the vegetable garden, or lawns.

Reply to
Phisherman

Why not just take it to the dump?

Reply to
MAG

New drywall or used? New scraps are harmless, but old ripout material may include nasty stuff in the paint, spackle, adhesive, etc, sticking to it. Unless you already have a hole, probably more work to dig one than to just take it to the dump. Do put stuff like that in the backfill against foundation- when the paper rots, and it collapses into the inevitable air pockets, it can mess up drainage and/or create a spot for water to collect against the foundation. (Paranoid, I know, but my old man reamed me many a time as a kid for leaving anything other than masonry scrap in the backfill hole.)

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

If your soil is acidic, nothing much will happen, if you soil is alkaline and clay, the gypsum will help break it down to become more porous.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have a good spot to bury it and not much of a vehicle to transport it. I live in Wisconsin so I don't know what the soil type is. Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
Sanbar

Most of WI is already quite alkaline (limestone), so there wouldn't be any benefit to adding to the soil, but as long as you cover it with at least 6" of topsoil, it won't do any harm, either.

Reply to
Mark

How quickly will it decompose?

Reply to
Sanbar

Made from gypsum, it will take about 1,000,000 years to decompose. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends on how you define it.

Once it gets soaked, it will (if the dirt shifts) fall apart into a mass. Over time, it will leach into the soil. The exact amount of time to disappear completely is highly variable, depending on moisture, movement (frost heaving), starting mass, etc.

You do need to be thinking in terms of many years, though. But it doesn't make solid enough fill that I'd build on it.

Reply to
Mark

My experience. I broke it up into small pieces (6-12"), threw it on the garden and rototilled it. Still turned chunks two years later. The problem was more the paper cover than the gypsum.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not in our lifetime.

NEVER FORGET!!!

jtees4

| > > Most of WI is already quite alkaline (limestone), so there | > > wouldn't be any benefit to adding to the soil, but as long | > > as you cover it with at least 6" of topsoil, it won't do any | > > harm, either. | > > > >

| > > The truth as I perceive it to be. | > > Your perception may be different. | > >

| > > Triple Z is spam control. | | My experience. I broke it up into small pieces (6-12"), threw it on | the garden and rototilled it. Still turned chunks two years later. | The problem was more the paper cover than the gypsum. | | Harry K

Reply to
henryc

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, jeff wrote: Scientific

Reply to
jeff