Drywall Damage

Hello:
I live in a multi-story condominium, and the neighbor who lives above me recently had some plumbing related problems in his bathroom that resulted in my bathroom being flooded.
I would estimate that several gallons of water ran through his floor and out a vent in my ceiling over a period of about five minutes. The ceiling has been drying for several days but there are still water marks on the drywall, mainly in the areas where the floor and ceiling meet.
I was wondering under what circumstances I should request that the drywall be replaced. If the drywall is permanently water marked but firm to the touch, is replacement necessary? Would it be wise to request replacement because of possible mold growth even if the drywall doesn't appear damaged?
In short, I would like to have the ceiling replaced only if necessary, and would appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Chris
the drywall is probably ok. The watermarks can be covered by a couple coats of Kilz primer and then repainted usually. Try that first.
while I can certainly appreciate your wanting to not make any more hardship for your neighbor - it is THEIR responsibility to make you whole. Their insurance will make it all better for you, including replacing or repainting your sheetrock. That is why people have insurance is for accidents/mishaps, so that no one else has to pay (time, talent or $) for it. ______________________ Claudia Totus Tuus

Mold doesn't grow from a few gallons of water that ran for 5 mins. To get any kind of serious mold problem requires areas be wet for a long time. The typical scenario for a mold problem is a slow leak in an enclosed area that goes for months or years unfixed.
I agree with the advice to let it dry and inspect it. If it appears sound, then spackle and some stain killer should do the job.

Make sure the wall is completely dry. I'd probably set a fan to blow on the area for a few days. Use a trouble light against the ceiling/wall with your eye against the wall/ceiling to check for bumps or sunken areas. Sand or fill with drywall compound. Prime and use a kitchen/bath paint. If the drywall is firm, it should not need replacement.

Do the right thing---call in your insurance company and have them give an assessment of the damage. Don't depend on your own evaluation. Just had the very same thing happen to my daughter. Popcorn ceiling, wall stains, some wet rug etc--ended up with over a $4000 damage estimate from the insurance adjuster alone and he even left out some stuff according to the people that have to take care of the ceiling. Why should you do all the work, have it done professionally and since it wasn't your fault you won't even have to pay your deductible. MLD