drywall cracking

hello, I am drywalling my basement, I am putting on my last coat of mud and noticing cracking. I am wandering if I put the final coat on to thick or do I have a bigger problem. I used regular paper tape, and it seems that is where it is occuring. Do I need to sand it back down or can I put a thin coat over top? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
basspro wrote:

If the cracking is at the edge of the tape you'll have to pull or cut off the offending tape and redo it. If the cracking is in the compound itself, shrinkage cracks, you put it on too thick.
I've had that happen until I learned to soak the tape briefly in the mud before applying it. the backside of the tape would never soak up enough moisture to bond with the drywall.