Drywall Corner Bead Paper/Metal Type Question

I have a couple of corners to do in a room I bought corner beads from the Borg that are metal laminated to paper. How do I use them? Do I have to screw them on first or just apply mud and stick them on? Thx.
Then I found this...
http://www.usg.com/Expert_Advice/ConstructionHandbook/English/LO/ConstructionHandbook (en)_05.pdf

Nice link
Now the drywall corners you do will come out "SofaKing Great!"

the
My life's just SofaKing Great too | ;^)
That's right!. Next time you're in the market for a sofa come 'on down to Sofa King, where it's "Sofa King Good".

I recently used the metal/paper units for inside corners. For the outside corners I used the white plastic corner bead. I liked this stuff because when the paint chips, and it will, it leaves white instead of dark gray which will not be a visible.
SofaKing wrote:

http://www.usg.com/Expert_Advice/ConstructionHandbook/English/LO/ConstructionHandbook (en)_05.pdf
I put one outside corner on. I buttered the corner with mud/filler then stuck the corner on. Then used the 6" blade to squee-gee the bead so that it flattened out a bit. The only problem I have noticed is that in some places the paper warps and waves a bit. Not sure if maybe I didn't have enough/too much mud under the bead.

the