drywall around outer metal chimney liner in attic

the drywall ends about 1 inch all the way around the metal chimney liner in the attic
any way to seal up the 1 inch gap? would cement work?doing so will create an almost hermetically sealed area inside the wall behind the brick facing on the fireplace
I think youre supposed to have a 1" clearance for safety and for it to meet fire code. Its an airspace...and nothing is supposed to be up against the metal chimney liner.
can the empty space behind the brick wall and next to the firebox/chimney and under the drywall ceiling be insulated with fibergalss?

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:48:23 -0600 "effi"

P&M, reply to group
I don't know if this will help, but metal chimneys have one pipe inside the other. Otherwise they'd be too hot to touch, and burn down the house.
Are you trying to keep the inside of the pipe hot, or the outside of the pipe cold?
Anyhow, there already is some insulation. Wet your finger a lot (as if checking an iron) and touch the chimney while the fire is going. Does the wetness sizzle? Is it warm at all?
In my attic, there is nothing around the chimneys at all, either for the furnace or the fireplace. But I'm probably never up there when either fire is burning. So I don't know how hot they get.
Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.
posted:

trying to seal from the attic the unused square footage inside the wall/around the firebox
chimney runs right through it, with opening all the way around