Drywall

Page 2 of 2  

stryped wrote:

1. Taping is easy and fast. Way easier and faster than hanging, YMMV.
2. It's a garage, doesn't have to be perfect, no need to taper joints way out or even at all.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I plan on using 5/8" in the ceiling because there is living space above. But I disagree about the fragility of drywall for the walls. I use my garage a lot for projects. And you bang a 10' long board into drywall accidentally and you have a big gouge. You bump it rolling a jetski around and you have a gouge. It is fragile. Hit it with anything heavy even lightly and it gets damaged. It's easy to say don't do that but it happens. And I have a 30x28 garage so putting up expensive hanger boards all over is not an option.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Depends on local code. My detached garage had nothing inside, just the open framing. It is not a living space so it did not matter. Codes may vary from town to town though.
I did, however, insulate it and drywall it because I use it as a shop and heat it in the winter sometimes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Acceptable to whom? Your wife? Probably not.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/13/2010 7:31 AM, stryped wrote:

Just put the drywall up in a horizontal fashion and then the 1/8" boards vertical and don't nail or glue right on the horizontal drywall tapered joint.
Don
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
stryped wrote:

This is a detached garage, right?
If so, why bother with drywall? It's main purpose is fire retardation and that's usually not much of an issue in a detached garage.
Drywall has only a minuscule insulation property (R=0.45) which can be almost matched with 1/4" plywood (R=0.31).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I guess I wanted it to look halfway decent. Something I could be pround of.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
stryped wrote:

Oh.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

If drywall scares you atleast use plywood...OSB just plain sucks left exposed...Atleast plywood will take paint...As always check your local codes...You may want to sell someday...HTH...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.