drywall

ok, so every wall in my house has sssoooo much texture it horrible. it looks like some one took a paint brush and just went crazy splattering paint every where. would it be cheaper to sand down every wall till it is smooth or just replace? and what is the price of drywall, also would it be better to contract some one out to do it, that way i know its done correctly (price?)???

Reply to
cruel_girl

scraping, sanding, skim coating by a qualified professional would probably be done in less than a day per room. replacing would likely be a double or more.

Reply to
longshot

Easier to sand it all than tear it out and replace. Hire a pro.

Reply to
Meat Plow

You could also look at having an "orange peel" coating put over the walls with the paint splatters.

Another option would be to paint with a faux finish that also had texture to it.

Reply to
Pat

Before you hire a pro grab a pole sander and some sand paper and see if you can sand it off. In most cases paint doesn't sand off very well though.

Reply to
HotRdd

And start with at least 80 grit paper..Dont use a BIGGER number til you get the paint layer off.

Reply to
Rudy

Thank you all for your information!!!! At this time I am unsure if I will or will not contact a contractor. Once again thank you for your time and knowledge!!

Reply to
cruel_girl via HomeKB.com

Others are mentioning sanding, I would first look into how old the house is. If its old, chances are they used lead based paint. Not exactly the greatest thing to have the kiddies breath in when sanding.

As for what to do about the walls? You can knock down the the high spots and re spackle those areas smooth. Others would use 1/4" drywall and just put it right over the existing stuff. Do demo work in that one, just need to get new moldings etc.

Reply to
tksirius

"cruel_girl" wrote in news:73f9ac190c8c1@uwe:

I had a similar problem with a ceiling that looked like cottage cheese -- like popcorn gone bad. A contractor scraped the ceiling with a wide putty knife, spread 2 layers of drywall joint compound over the ceiling, and textured the ceiling in a final step -- all in 1/2 day. I could have done it myself in retrospect but it's really hard to work on the ceiling due to the constant reaching up. You could try and do a section of wall yourslf and see how it turns out.

Reply to
Crabshell