Drying dishes in a dishwasher

summer you'll heat

Where do you think the heat from the dishwasher goes in summer with the door closed? With it closed or open, it doesn't matter. One way it gets into the house quickly, the other slowly.

Reply to
trader4

IT DOESN'T MATTER. Dishwashers vent the steam out the front anyway, with the door closed. The heat and moisture all wind up in the room anyway, regardless of whether the door is closed or open. The only difference is that with the door closed, the heat and moisture come out slowly, over a longer period of time -- versus all at once with the door open.

Reply to
Doug Miller

How does the water get heated for the wash cycle, without the heating element at the bottom?

Reply to
mm

How about that. This is what I do when I"m in a hurry. If one waits until the dishes cool off, this doesn't work very well.

Of course I also dump water out of depressions, like the bottom of rootbeer mugs, when I do this. I just dump into the door which has levees around the sides, and when I later close the door, it pours back into the dishwasher.

Sometimes, hot or cold, I pull out the top rack 3 or 4 inches to hold the door open that far, but then the door isn't blocking my way.

Reply to
mm

" Condensation Drying Unlike other drying systems that use unclean air from the kitchen?s back wall, Bosch uses the residual heat from the warm water inside its tub. A sanitizing temperature of 161°F leaves residual heat in the tub, creating condensation along the cooler wall. The condensation is then drained so you?ll never have to release steam into the kitchen."

This sounds like puffing to me. Why would the walls be cooler than the steam? Alternatively, why would the walls be cooler than the walls of other dishwashers...Because their last water was higher than

161? How much higher might it be? Not much I think.

In answer to my own question in another post, it warms the water not with a heater in the bottom but with a "Flow-Through Water Heater? In traditional heating elements, water falls randomly onto a coil, which warms it inefficiently and creates a hazard. By passing it through a heating chamber instead, Bosch allows the water to reach temperatures of up to 161°F safely and quickly. This means you can place plastic items in the bottom rack without fear of melting or damage."

Reply to
mm

will just use the spatula wet if I need it before tomorrow. :)

True, they dry fast without extra heat.

But first part: You won't get extra humidity by using heat. You'll get the same, except maybe some water will have time to drip off and go down the drain** before it evaporates. You could consider attaching a humidifier to your furnace. You would feel warmer with the same temp, so you could use a lower temp and feel just as warm.

**How much water does the pump pump out. Is there what is basically a trap at the bottom of the dishwasher, or does the pump pump the bottom dry and rely on the trap below the sink. If the pipes at the bottom don't hold as much as they could after the water part of the whole cycle is over, then water dripping off would just sit in the pipes, where I suppose it would evaporate slowly, double slowly.
Reply to
mm

"BobK207" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

===>

Best point I could do with text...

Reply to
Al Bundy

There's a "flow through" inline heater inside the equipment area.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

This is a very attractive feature, IMO. My next dishwasher will likely be a Bosch for this (and some other) reasons.

Over the years I've lost quite a few utensils and small plastic or wood items to the more conventional exposed heating element. It's annoying when it happens, the smell can be unpleasant and the risk of a more serious fire (although very small) worries me greatly as does the potential for one of my kids to stick their hands in there.

For me, eliminating the exposed element just seems like really good, thoughtful design.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I don't have a Bosch, but suppose they arrange for cool room air to flow around the outside of the stainless tub. That would keep the tub cool, and keep the dew point of the inside of the dishwasher at about room temperature. The dishes, still considerably hotter than room temperature, will evaporate water into this air more readily than what's usually inside a dishwasher (where the dew point is equal to the temperature of the dishes.

If this is correct, then the heat is dumped into the room, but the moisture is not (because it condenses into water inside the tub). The dishes are dried with the clean air inside the dishwasher, rather than fresh air drawn in from the kitchen. And there is no additional heater involved, so no danger of anything being melted by the extra heat.

But it would require a metal tub, not a plastic one, to use the tub as the heat exchanger.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

Possibly, but I have never seen a tub that wasn't insulated to cut down the noise.

In fact on my Maytag I added 2 layers of heavy rubber carpet underlay, draping it over the plastic tub (top,sides and rear) because it was noisy. My office is right behind the dish washer. It is whisper quiet now and retains much more heat. I know this because the counter above the dishwasher no longer gets warm with the dishwasher running.

Reply to
Bill_Moore

Resistance heat is the most expensive unless it's free(windmill, hydro) on the premises.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1