Dryer wouldn't work for 5 minutes

About 5 minutes into drying a large load of towels, our Kenmore Series 70 dryer simply died. I couldn't get it started again.
I read through the instruction book, but found nothing useful; so I tried it again. It ran fine.
I gave my wife some BS about a thermo-overload switch needing time to reset. Any idea was really was the problem? Are we looking at a dying appliance, or should we just run smaller loads?

it
reset.
I hope my wife doesn't read this and see how you spoil yours-- buying her a clothes dryer indeed!!
Mine hangs the laundry outside on a clothes line. It dries just fine, smells nice, and stuff doesn't shrink. I do treat her right though- buying her new clothespins as her birthday present each year.
Red

You're a right-minded and housewifely little gal, Susie-- and your husband's a lucky man. Say, my brother's looking to get married- have you got a sister?
Red
your probably dead on about the overload. You may be plugged up with lint and overheating the motor

it
reset.

Doug Cordero wrote in message ...

I agree.
It could be just the motor plugged with lint causing overheating and it to cut out on its internal overload protector. If that's the case, I wouldn't advise you to continue to use it util you can clean it or permanent damage could be done to the motor (if the problem isn't in the motor already).
Most makes of dryers do have a high motor failure rate so be prepared for that inevitability as well. You can see a common Kenmore dryer motor at the following link:
http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?pc '9827
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+dryer
=~~~~~~

Okay, how do I go about cleaning the motor? Thanks.
Wade Lippman wrote:

Don't overreact to a single occurance of the problem.
If you block too much of the airflow through the dryer (either by a clogged lint screen or because of a very large load such as a bedspread or a large number of towels..) you'll get the same 'overheating' symptoms. If you don't have the problem with a regular size load, then don't sweat about it.
Wade Lippman wrote in message ...

wouldn't
damage
On many newer models you'll have to open the cabinet (and possibly remove the drum). If an older one, there *may* be a rear access panel which might provide enough access to the motor. It will depend how your model was actually designed.