Dryer wont start -- creates hummmm sound and then stops

My dryer is giving me problem, when i press the start button it gives me hummmmming sound but does not move, and after 2-3 tried it goes dead for a sometime before i can try again.

Is it that the motor is gone or something i can do myself. I don't want to call service personal bec. it gets expensive.

Thanks for all inputs.

Akhtar

Reply to
akhtar

Sounds as if the motor is not able to start (could be bad bearings) and it is kicking out on overload protection. If that is the case, it should be replaced.

Other possibilities is that the drum is not able to turn. There are usually rollers that support the drum. If they are binding, it could have the same result.

I don't know your mechanical abilities, but motor replacements is usually not too difficult.

Take a peek at

or
for more information

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agreed. Hopefully it is just the drum.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi Akhtar,

This is nearly always a failed motor. Bearings wear 'egg-shaped' and cause the armature to try to start off-center. Bet yours is a Whirlpool or Kenmore, right?

Send the model number & I can be more specific. If it's a 29 inch (wide) dryer, the motor's are pretty reasonable. I get them on sale from time to time at $76.50. They ship with instructions, but you'll need to be pretty handy with tools to do it. As I always say, 'after the first one it gets easier.'

If it's a 27 incher, the motor's pretty pricey. Let me know.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Thanks All for posting, Last night i tried to be handy and opened up the dryer, i could not take the drum out, i will go home and open the front and try to take it out. The drum seemed to be very heavy when i tried to run it with hand. I will open it up tonight and post the condition more precisely tomorow morning. Any tips when i open the dryer, i am totally a layman when it comes down to appliances.

Thanks once again.

Akhtar

Reply to
akhtar

Oops forgot to mentioned the model#. It is Admiral 8410.

thanks.

Reply to
akhtar

Last night i opened up the dryer, took the tub out cleaned it all around, but the problem is the same, i think the motor is gone. It ran once after i cleaned it and once its started its doing oki. But after that it did not start. Can i do more testing before i start looking for new motor. The dryer is Admiral and model# is AL8410.

Thanks All.

Akhtar

Reply to
akhtar