dryer vents

I put on a new dryer vent and where the old one was connected to the dryer there is a collar on the dryer connection. This kept falling off as I put the new vent on the dryer so I just put it to the side and did not use it. Is this collar necessary, or is it just to help fit the vent to the dryer's exhaust port?
I also had to use duct tape to tape the pieces together. I never used duct tape for its real purpose of taping ducts. Will the hot exhaust air melt the tape or loosen it's adhesiveness?
Thanks!!
Eddie G
the collar is just a connector, the duct tape will eventually fall apart.
theses a more shiney metal tape that works better, but your good to go for now.
dryer vents are all junk quality:(
I bet you have a Whirlpool dryer or a Kenmore built by Whirlpool. For some reason they make their exhaust duct way too short. Notwithstanding it is posssible to secure the clamp if you put the screw mechanism on the bottom where it is hard to tighten. Don't ask me why it is so poorly designed. Be sure to use metal ductwork and a screw type collar.

Yes I have a Kenmore. The collar is not the thin strip with a screw...it is an aluminum collar about 2 inches wide that was kind of a "junction" between the dryer exhaust port and the metal tubing.
We tried something similar with a flex metal duct that had a plastic collar. I would not hold. Eventually I ripped off the collar but was able to keep the flexible metal duct and used a duct clamp with the screw adjuster and put it on the Kenmore. It has held for many months now.

(removeme)comcast.net> says...

Duct tape has many purposes, but taping ducts isn't one of them. Use proper aluminum foil HVAC tape instead.
Eddie G (removeme) wrote:

Duct tape's cloth element is also flammable.