Dryer vent runs up into attic but not outside...

Recently I added a room to my house requiring that the gas dryer vent be rerouted. The contractor routed it up into the attic. He was going to run it through the attic then outside the house but never finished it. He said it would be fine just up into the attic without being vented outside.
Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com wrote:

Yea, it will be just fine and he will be back and be glad to have you pay him to replace all the damage it does. All those vents in your roof are there to remove warm moist air, and now you are pumping warm moist air into the attic every time you run the dryer.
He is either a liar or totally incompetent.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

If you find the right neighborhood and ask around, you will be able to find someone who will break the contractor's legs and fingers for a very reasonable fee. Do it before he continues on his path of destruction.
The dryer needs to be vented outside. Period. End of story. And, cutting a hole in the roof for such a thing is absolutely ridiculous. Do not let him cut the roof. Where is this dryer? Basement? First floor? On an outside wall or close to one?
Check the gas regulations. A vent for a gas dryer not only takes the moisture from the clothes but is also the vent (read chimney) for the gas heaters -- this is the same as venting a heater into the attic. Regulations require it to be vented OUTSIDE.

Absolutely! You do NOT want that moist air pumping into your attic, unless you enjoy things like mold, rot and peeling paint. If you live in a cold climate, you can add ice dams to the list of fun consequences. You should call your contractor back and make him install a soffit vent. That was inexcusable.

Any gas appliance needs to be vented outside.
The shorter the distance to the outside, either wall or roof, the better it will be since the vent pipe will have to be cleaned from time to time. (When we install new jacks on a roofing job I sometimes see dryer pipes that are completely clogged with lint).
A straight, non-flexible, vent pipe will be more efficient and easier to clean. Also, don't use screws to attach sections of pipe since they will catch the lint and tend to clog up the pipe--better to tape the sections together, if necessary.
Bruce A&B Construction Houston, TX www.roof.cc
Of course not, if you don't use the dryer, or don't mind major moisture-induced damage. Or combustion by-products inside the structure. :')
For one, it's probably a code-violation, and should be remedied ASAP. For another, if you paid for it to be vented outside, that should be made so.
That contractor cut big corners, and lied. Don't trust him, if you ever did.
HTH, John

one other thing nobody has mentioned... a big part of the reason for venting isnt in the summer, but in the winter. you want the air space in the attic to be about the same temp as the outside air to keep the snow from melting too quickly and re freezing as it hits the edge where the roof overhangs the house. this is known as an ice dam. pumping heat into the attic will cause them.
randy

....and boy oh boy are ice dams fun. My ex wife had a 6 foot section of plaster wall pretty much turn to mud this past winter, all because of an ice dam just a foot wide. The details are too horrible to discuss further.
Are these regulations for gas dryers the same as an electric dryer? (has to be vented outside?)

rednelb wrote:

The regulations are different, but the recommendation about venting to the attic is the same. In some areas local code will prohibit venting to the attic of gas or electric.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Considering the frequency with which we see questions in this NG about attic fans, it's astounding that anyone would even entertain the idea of pumping hot, moist air into an attic, regardless of the safety consequences.
The room is an interior room. Sounds like I have to fire this guy. He hasn't called me back in a week anyway. Can anyone recommend a competent contractor in the Houston area to clean up this guy's work?
Thanks,
James

James, In CA contractors are required to have a license for doing any work over $500.00. This assures you that they are bonded and insured and it gives you some recourse, but you still need to check them out carefully because a license isn't an absolute guarantee that they are responsible. I don't know if TX has a similar requirement.
Get references before you hire. Don't hire anyone who only gives you a PO Box for an address. Don't pay more than 1/3 down.

Plenty.
Get it vented outside, and your contractor should be the one, at his cost, to do it.

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com wrote:

and the insulation become clumpy.. No good)... the hot moist air got to go outside.....