Dryer Vent And Lint Question

Hello,

My son has the typical home gas fired clothes Dryer, and a vent tube leading to the outside.

I stuck my hand in it from the outside, and removed a fair amount of Lint. But my hand, of course, would only go so far.

He was thinking of using my shop-vac, and inserting it from where it exits on the outside.

Question: does he run "any" danger at all of extinguishing the dryer's pilot light ? It's a pretty strong shop-vac.

If so, he would probably have to hire a plumber to re-light it, as he is very "non-technical". Would like to avoid this, naturally.

(frankly, I am not even sure that there is a pilot light, but it is an older dryer,and I doubt that it uses any electronic ignition scheme. But, maybe ?)

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

The gas clothes dryer probably has an electronic ignition for a pilot light rather than a standing pilot like a water heater. Dryer vent fires are a common enough occurrence that you should keep the vent pipe clean and a shop vac will work for a short pipe but there cleaning kits for longer vent pipes that use a compressed air powered wand that is pushed up into the vent to break up any lint that's stuck in there along with brushes on rods and a vacuum collection system. Be safe. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

disconnect vent line indoors at the dryer. use a shop vac as a blower to clean the entire vent line easily. it will blow out a snowstorm of lint, espically if you have a long exhaust line....

blowing is more effective than vacuuming

Reply to
bob haller

I wonder if a leaf blower at the dryer end would clear the vent pipe after removing the outside flapper of course. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Bob:

I really doubt that using a Shop Vac vaccuum cleaner would cause enough air flow past the pilot light to put it out.

However, there's no harm in downloading a copy of your dryer's owner's manual, which will tell you how to re-light the pilot light if it goes out.

It'd be an appliance repairman you'd phone for that service, not a plumber.

I'd download the owner's manual from the manufacturer's web site, read the section on lighting the pilot light, and I expect you'll find it's a lot easier than you thought.

Reply to
nestork

If there is a fair amount of lint in the vent pipe, then there is a good chance that there is a fair amount of lint in the duct work inside the dryer also. This can seriously impact the dryer's efficiency..

In addition, if he uses dryer sheets, this can cause 2 issues:

1 - Dryer sheets can cause a waxy buildup on the lint filter which can impede air flow. A quick test to see if the lint filter is clogged is to run it under water. If the water doesn't drain out, it is clogged. Wash it with warm soapy water to remove the oils. 2 - The same waxy buildup can occur on the blower squirrel cage causing lint to stick to the fins, once again reducing the efficiency.

I clean the entire venting system on my dryer, internal as well as external, once a year

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Clothes dryers need to be taken apart and cleaned inside periodically, depe nding on how much they are used. If it?s an old dryer and has never been taken apart it?s very likely that it should be.

Reply to
recyclebinned

Very often, the drum seal in the back "leaks" and lint gets all over the place, inside the machine.

That, and a couple other maint things that need to be done.

. Christ> Clothes dryers need to be taken apart and cleaned inside periodically, depending on how much they are used. If it?s an old dryer and has never been taken apart it?s very likely that it should be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

i replaced my washing machine hoses and later my dryer acted up, poor drying.

there was a low area in the vent line where moisture accumulated, which over time must of blocked airflow. i had noted my dryers exhaust was very anemic...

i found the water after reaching in the disconnected vent line and getting very wet:(

Reply to
bob haller

Might blow apart any connections, particularly if there is a blockage. If it happens inside a wall, it wouldn't be good.

I'd just buy a 4" vent brush and pass it from one end to the other or use the shop vac.

Reply to
krw

When I did a lot more wire pulling in conduit, I used either my CO2 tank setup, air compressor or shop vac to blow or suck a rat through a conduit. Hummm, now I wonder about blasting a brush through the vent with CO2 or compressed air and a shop vac might pull it through too. If a pull string could be blown through the vent, it could be tied to a 4" brush and pull it through. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Don Rodgers