Dryer troubleshooting advice sought

I have a Kenmore elecrtic dryer that went on the blink this weekend. I set the timer (which I can hear running) and push the START button. I hear a humming sound whilst pushing the button but nothing happens. I took the back off and wiggled the wires. Still doesn't work. I couldn't see the belt very good from the back but it look attached. I can move the drum one way manually.

I have limited tools (my trusty swiss army knife is alls I have used thus far if this gives you an idea). Should I just bite the dust and call a repair person, or are there a few things I can still check.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
bj

If the belt was broken, I think you would be able to turn the drum both ways relatively easily, and you would hear the motor running even though the drum wasn't turning.

Might be the door switch (it stops the drum when you open the door). Try removing the front panel (unplug the dryer first!). There are usually two screws at the bottom that you have to remove and then tilt out the bottom. The switch is probably on the back of the front panel. Make sure the connections are good and that the door actuates the switch.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Hi,

Model#? Kenmore is made by several different companies.

model# helps.

Hummmmmmming and no go is often a sign of the motor receiving power but cannot run. Motor stopped for some reason ( seized drum support, something caught in the fan blower, motor jammed up with lint ) or a bad motor :(

*Some* general motor troubles.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

A new dryer doesn't cost too much, esp. compared with repair time and parts for an old one. And you wind up with a new one.

I just replaced my broken Frigidaire from 1975 with another (GLER642A_) for $280. Seems to work okay. It doesn't match the old washer, is all.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

============================ Could be the starting capacitor on the motor if it is a capacitor start type. Simplest way to check it is replace it with a new one. DIY cost about $5 to $10. ============================

Reply to
SJF

Hi,

Dryer motors normally don't have start capacitors, many/most washer motors do but dryers do not.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff