dryer tripping circuit breaker

I have a Whirlpool Estate electric dryer. Sunday, the dryer wouldn't come on, found the breaker in the basement fusepanel was tripped. I reset it, all was well for several more loads that day. Now today, the dryer will only run for about 1 minute before the breaker trips, I reset the breaker, and it will run for another minute before it trips again. The dryer is only about 2 year old, this is the 1st problem, and there are no stange noises. Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks, Earl
big e lewis wrote:

Heating element problem?(partial short or burn out) Or something loose.
probably a failed element....
partial now cmplete short to ground......
probably a failed element....
partial now cmplete short to ground......
DANGER Will Robinson, DANGER
When you breaker tripped the first time, that should have been a clue. When it tripped the second time, you should've stopped using the dryer until you positively determined and remedied the problem.
A circuit breaker is foremost a safety device.
Usually when it trips, it is overloaded or shorted. Overload can be a result of a loose connection (read: fire danger) or a bad heating element (less dangerous but still a possible fire danger) and a dead short is also a dangerous situation especially with 220 volts.
**First, unplug your dryer then make SURE the dryer's breaker is shut OFF**. Follow the cord up into the back of the dryer and check the connections (you will probably have to remove a small metal panel) make sure each one is tight and there are no signs of heat (look at the wire insulation) at the junction. If it's a three-wire cord, make sure the neutral to ground strap is sound. If everything there looks good there, open the dryer outlet cover (remember, you shut off the breaker, right?) and look in there for signs of heat or spark. If everything looks clean, then button it all back up and open your breaker panel and shut off the big MAIN (this should shut off ALL electricity to your home.) Pull the panel cover and tighten up all the connectons (especially the neutral wires [white]) and if ANY of your wires are aluminum (as opposed to copper) inspect them first. Aluminum tends to loosen first and a loose connection can generate some heat, further loosening it. Look at the wires that go into your dryer breaker. Make sure they are SNUG. Don't mess with the wires that go into the MAIN breaker.
If you've done all that and your breaker still trips, it's likely the dryer.
Jeff
big e lewis wrote:

jeffreydesign wrote:

Good response. Especially the first few lines. This is a safety issue.
I will add one possible issue. Old circuit breakers and even some new ones can become weak and need replacement. I suggest keeping that in the back of your mind. It is also possible that you replaced your old dryer with one that requires a larger breaker. You may want to check the breaker size specified in the manual for your current dryer. However remember to check for safety issues first.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

You did get some good advice about connections and heating elements. The motor can also be a problem, as can the drum and the rollers it rides on. If the bearings are going, they will be difficult to turn and can overload the motor. Check to see that it turns freely.
Is your dryer all electric (big plug) or gas heat (small plug)?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
replying to big e lewis, Mike wrote:

This happened to me on Friday. I replaced the cord and all is well.
On Mar 17, 12:44 pm, Mike

when the breaker trips AGAIN, replace the breaker! Its the likely problem, they are designed to get more sensitive as they age........